• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

transfer case rear seal

It's pretty easy - pull the rear driveshaft, prise out/pull out with pliers the rear seal, and replace. The trick is driving it in evenly - I wound up drilling out a hole to "miss" the seal boot with a hole saw in a chunk of 2x4, and I lay that on the seal rim and drive it in with a hammer. This allows me to clear the output stub and bang on the seal fairly evenly, without damaging the thing in the first place.

Expect it to take an hour or so.

5-90

i just replaced mine tonight.. i got the old one out by CAREFULLY whacking a flat screwdriver into the edge around the seal where the lip sits on the very end of the output housing.... be VERY careful.. i was afraid if i pryed too hard it would break a chunk out of the aluminum housing.. it was a lil scratched up so i coated the outter edge of the new seal with some silicone just in case it wanted to start seeping.... the new one went in with a few solid whacks with a whammer.... took about an hour start to finish.... keep in mind that even if the output doesnt leak when you remove the slip yoke, it WILL when you remove the seal...

mike

Back