• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bushwackers fit a 1997+ XJ?

Beej

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, I'm new, so please forgive my newbieness. I searched around a bit on the forums, but i could not find the answer. what i want to know is, can bushwackers fit a 1997 or newer 4door XJ? when i see them advertised it usually says 1984 to 1996 XJs. Anybody fit them to a newer XJ? I think i will get a set if they will fit.

thanks.

they fit. my 2000:

242380_231_full.jpg

I called Bushwacker to ask that same question since they don't offer them for a '97 and up. They said it's only because of the rear flare/bumper guard piece. The flares won't work with the stock rear bumper guards in place so you have to either remove or trim them. (the bumper guard, that is)

kid4lyf said:
I called Bushwacker to ask that same question since they don't offer them for a '97 and up. They said it's only because of the rear flare/bumper guard piece. The flares won't work with the stock rear bumper guards in place so you have to either remove or trim them. (the bumper guard, that is)

exactly. the side body lines for 96- are exactly the same as 97+. the stock bumper end caps do interfere, but i didn't have any so it wasn't an issue.

matthew

seanR said:
Be prepared to cut alot. You will also need to cut the hell out of the flairs themselves.
Why will he need to cut the flares too? You can cut the flares to allow more tire tuck but it is not required.

kirby said:
Why will he need to cut the flares too? You can cut the flares to allow more tire tuck but it is not required.

you have to cut the rears if you don't want to cut through your pinch seam and reweld the wheelwell.

matthew

The fronts are easy... I was hatn life when it came to the rear... just take your time and my advice : Trim alittle under what is said and do a trial fit and work from there... Leave a little excess on around rear fender and pinch the seam and bend it back (keeps tires from getting cut and it seals the body back up)

GottaBeJeep said:
Just follow this link to a great install writeup to save you a lot of headaches, expecially when it comes to the rear.
http://www.jeepin.com/features/bushwacker/index.asp

I saw this site already. If you look carefully, you'll see that he's not installing them on a 97+ jeep.

I have still not found any step by steps of the post 97's and what i was looking for was any reason that they will not fit. So far, looks like they will work well, but I will have to watch for where they fit on my running boards, look out for the fill reservoir and remove my rear bumper endcaps. Anything else I should look for?
(I already know i have to cut sheetmetal and may have to trim the flares).

Thanks for all your help,

Beej.

Sure, it's not a 97+, but trimming is pretty similar, and the information on the rear trimming is very handy. I know the guy I bought my 97 from didn't have a clue what he was getting into when he put on bushwackers, because the rear well was butchered beyond recognition. Just don't want to see someone else not have some helpful pictures or info, split the rear seam while trimming, not know how to fix, so they take pliers to it and start twisting chunks out of the metal trying to "curl" it all back together. :confused:

Beej said:
I saw this site already. If you look carefully, you'll see that he's not installing them on a 97+ jeep.

I have still not found any step by steps of the post 97's and what i was looking for was any reason that they will not fit. So far, looks like they will work well, but I will have to watch for where they fit on my running boards, look out for the fill reservoir and remove my rear bumper endcaps. Anything else I should look for?

Beej.

Just get them trim your fenders and install, geez its not some huge project. Have you even taken your stock flares off to see where you cut? Just cut up to where the body is smooth up front and in the rear cut to where there is one lip left around the wheelwell, then read directions and install.

Jeepin.com article is really good, all XJ will pretty much be the same.

Beej said:

Beej.

There is one other small issue. There is a (around 2" wide) moulding that runs down the side on post '97s. On stock flares it stops just short of the flare. However, after opening up the fenders and putting these larger flares on, they will interfere with the fit. You will have to either trim the flare to fit over them (difficult to get exactly right) or trim the moulding (easier to do but the cut edge will look unfinished)
Other than this and the rear bumper cap issue the instructions on that site will be dead on.

Back