• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

oil cap

snow drifter

NAXJA Forum User
I tried searching, but could'nt seem to find the answer. My oil cap on my 99' has freezed up and I cant get it off. It's the OME "clicking", "ratcheting" cap. Besides removing the valve cover, how can I get it off? I know I can just go to work with a pair of pliers and a screwdriver, but I'm afraid of busting off little pieces and having themfall in the motor. Thanks :banghead:

Grab it with a BIG pair of chanel-lock pliars and rip it off,the 2 small springs are letting it slip .Replace with new,use a little anti-sieze on the threads and don,t screw it on so tight.O,if it cools down it way come right off without using force.
Wayne

on the off chance a peice of plastic end up in the engine, it shouldn't hurt anything since it is softer than the internal parts..

mike

Just lift the top of the cap off, kinda pry it with your fingers, it will pop off. That leaves the threaded part in the valve cover. Just grab it with a big set of channel locks that will fit around it and turn it enough to break it free. Unscrew by hand. It generly locks up on a hot motor and frees up once it cools off a bit. I filled mine with epoxy, no more ratchet...

just wanted to say thanks. I encountered this problem today and knew I would find the answer here.

sidriptide said:
on the off chance a peice of plastic end up in the engine, it shouldn't hurt anything since it is softer than the internal parts..

mike

But it will most likely clog an oil passage. :) It's highly unlikely that anything will fall in though...

I saw someone post about buying a replacemnt.... forget that it will break also. What you want to do is pop out the top and use channel locks as suggested (or some other tool to grab it and twist it out). Then fabe a plastic or wooden spacer that would spread out permanently the plastic ratchet pieces (goes in instead of the spring) and then epoxy (jb weld) the whole thing together! (I got a stock one done like that and a Kragen one that I had to fix like that a year or so later)

Back