• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Valve cover gasket

StuckXJ

NAXJA Forum User
This weekend I was at the parts store getting my brakes when I figured I'd might as well pick up the valve cover gasket. I was wondering if I should put sillicone on the gasket before I put it on. Does anyone have any tips for doing the job in general? I plan on doing it in the next couple of days. Any help would be great. By the way its a 1992 4.0 HO

When I did my cover (91 4.0 HO) I lightly dabbed some RTV on one side of the gasket just to hold it in place as I put the cover on.
Just make sure your upper rad hose and upper heater hose are out of the way.

90 MJ 4.0- did the same thing as XJ91- RTV'ed the cork gasket to the valve cover and let it dry overnight. Worked great and kept the gasket in place when trying to squeeze it past the forementioned hoses!

I changed my gasket. I scraped off the factory RTV Silicone since I was having leaks. I went with the Fel-pro gasket on my 88 XJ.

The first time I installed the gasket dry and it slipped at the back when I lowered the valve cover on to the head. I still have an oil leak.

I then pulled the valve cover and installed it again. I used Indian Head Gasket Shellac because someone on here talking highly about it. It worked like a charm. I applied it per the instructions then lowered the valve cover onto the head. Still not leaking 2 plus years later.

Here is a picture so you know what to look for: http://www.cornerhardware.com/item_...terials/Indian-Head-Gasket-Shellac-2-oz-.html

I am not a fan of RTV for gaskets unless the gasket comes with it pre applied. I believe gaskets should be installed dry. The gasket material should take up any point defects in the surface.

When you use the fel pro gasket you need to use a torque wrench. tighten all 15 fasteners to the book value. Then wait 10 minutes and do it again. Repeat the torque & wait cycle until the bolts hold torque. It took me 3 rounds of torque & wait to get to the point it held torque.

With 15 fasteners you are fooling yourself to think you can make all of them the same. When I was tightening up I would in my mine say "that should be it" and see if I was right. One bolt I had to turn it an additional full turn before the wrench clicked. This gives you an excuse to buy a 250 in-lb torque wrench at sears :) Always need a new tool !!!!

Back