• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lift vs. Tire size, what to do now!!!!!

RCP Phx

NAXJA Forum User
Ive been running 265/75/16's(32x10.5) on 5" of lift for about 1 1/2 years on factory alloy rims.The only rubbing has been on the control arms and the top of the spring tower,but real light rubbing.I recently added an inch of lift for my new tires,33x10.5/15's on 15x7"rims w/ 4.5" backspace.Today I tore the right front flare off in the first mile and Im rubbing everywhere.Im even rubbing the front and back of the rear fenders.Where did I go wrong?

Do your new tires stick out farther than the old ones? probably so if you got new rims. That will do it, puts the tires over right below the flares.

Well you either need to trim fenders or add more lift. There's a lot of options for trimming. you can trim your stock flares, move them up, or get different flares, even use no flares. You are going to have to cut metal as well, and at least bend metal in the back. here's a look at what I did, I cut the stock fenders, cut about 1.5 inches of sheet metal in the front, and I bent up the bottom part of the metal in the back.

Slip Kid probably hit it right on the head. The stock rims have a 5-1/4" backspacing. Your new rims are 4.5" so the tires are sticking out 3/4 of an inch more on each side. In addition, a 265/75R16 is closer to 10.4 inches than 10.5, so if your new tires are a true 10.5 that adds another tenth. So now you're out 0.85" on each side, which is about enough to create that "interference fit."

yep. With stock BS the tires stuff inside the fenders. look at this. this is before trimming even.

For 2000 XJs (or any 97+), if you haven't yet removed your front bumper endcaps, that is the first thing to do. I could rub my 31's with 5.25" lift on that stupid endcap.

rubbing.jpg

Wheels are 15x8 with 4.5" BS by the way.

Then finally I removed the endcaps to prepare for my new front bumper. I was surprised that it actually looked pretty damn good and much more aggressive with more tire showing from the front. And no more rub!

endcap02M.jpg

You can remove, or trim the rear endcap as well. Any other rubbing will mean removing the flares and/or minor trimming.

I guess thats why Im so confused!My stock wheels had 5"backspace and I had researched this since January.The concensus here and a few other web articles was that 4.5"backspace was the ideal setup for an XJ.Im going to take a good look at things Today and take some measurements.I didnt want to alter the body but Ive got to do something or "eat" the 1300$ I just spent and put the 32's back on!

I have a 98 with a Rusty's 4.5 and I am running 33x10.50 BFG Muds. I had to trim about 2" from the back of the front fender and I aslo trimmed about 2" from the bumper caps in the front. I removed the rear bumper caps and pounded over the seam in the back of the rear fender. Sealed it up and painted it with bedliner. I think it turned out OK. My tires are not rubbing now.

Oh yeah, I am running factory wheels.

Well these are the numbers.Obviously,backspace increased .5",here are the tire specs.

Cooper Mt's Hgt>31 3/4" Sec>10 1/8" Tread>7 3/4"
BFG's MT's Hgt>32 3/4" Sec>10" Tread>8 1/4"(plus the secondary sidewall lugs)

I have a set of stock 15x7/5"bs five star wheels I may try,but Im sure they'll rub like crazy on the inside!

What does anyone know about the Bushwacker Extended flares?I dont mind trimming some sheetmetal if I can make it look like it came that way!

Does anyone know if the factory flares are weldable?One of my ideas would be to use two sets to make a "lengthened" flare!

Factory rims

I am running 33x9.5 on the factory rims. I think that you should give yours a try and see if they will fit.

I have some rubbing on the CAs. With the bump stops that I have setup I do not rub on the spring perch when the tire is stuffed. In the rear there is some rubbing on the front and rear part of the fender.

I already thought about it but decided that it be easier to just put the 265/75/16's back on and use them to figure out where things are tight.That way I dont have to remount the new tires/wheels!

Back