• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front leaf Progress Pics

crazy_cooter56

NAXJA Forum User
Well I thought I'd post a couple pics of the current state of my MJ. Lookin for some opinions on optimal shackle angle, before I hear the same as on other boards, the shackles are not finished. They're long so I can shorten without problem, I will cross brace them when length is determined, and yes it is tall but I like it and it'll work for what I want it to do. My other question is about the block that relocates the centerpin and moves the axle 1.5" forward, is it safe for use on the front axle?

http://www.jeeps4ever.com/crazy_cooter56/Dscn0411.jpg

http://www.jeeps4ever.com/crazy_cooter56/Dscn0414.jpg

That Jeep is not tall enough.

Why go through all the trouble of a leaf conversion and then put the shackles up front where they are subject to hanging up?

CRASH

Very impressive... Roughly how much lift and what is the size of the tires? how time consuming is the suspension swap for the leafs?

Crash that's the reason I asked about moving the axle forward about another 1.5" so the tires would be infront of them. I thought of moving up to a 42" tire but can't afford that at the moment unless I find a trade for my new 38"tsl's. Oh and I do plan on flipping the U-Bolts although I don't think they would hang up being higher than the dif and way higher than the tires.

XTrm it is time consuming to do it right, if you are staying with stock axles it's a bad idea as coils can do more for you, I did it because I'm using full widths obviously and my new front was setup for leafs and proper center pin measuremtent. I hope to be able to make the leafs work nearly as well as coils, note I said nearly lmao. As for lift I'm not sure yet but I'm using 4" YJ springs. The tires are 38x12.5x16.5 TSL's

crazy_cooter56 said:
Crash that's the reason I asked about moving the axle forward about another 1.5" so the tires would be infront of them. I thought of moving up to a 42" tire but can't afford that at the moment unless I find a trade for my new 38"tsl's. Oh and I do plan on flipping the U-Bolts although I don't think they would hang up being higher than the dif and way higher than the tires.

Go 53's or go home.

CRASH

lmao crash, I'm not so sure that my 5.13's will be enough for 53's behind the stock 4.0 But if you'll give me a good set for my 38's I'd gladly drop my sbc 406 down in it. :)

crazy_cooter56 said:
My other question is about the block that relocates the centerpin and moves the axle 1.5" forward, is it safe for use on the front axle?

Looks good. I wouldn't worry about moving that axle any further forward... unless you like to climb the sides of buildings. If you really want to use the offset perches you should be just fine. The locating pin shouldn't squeeze out anyway... and I think you are gonna be cutting more up front as it looks now anyway....

I put my shackles up front beacuse they aren't poking out into my approach angle, & if they were on back they's get hung up on everything like the control arm drops I had did.

Yes I have "stock" axles for now.... but it steers & rides better than it did with coils ... go figure.

I also have 4" YJ springs sitting in my garage ... waiting to be installed, but I'm holding off till I can afford bigger meats & till I can reinforce that dam cheesy LCA mount.

Few pics for ya:
http://www.patricksnorton.com/cherokee/tech/leafsprung/after/after1.htm

While we are on this topic... aybody know who makes the longest DPA for an XJ? If/when I go to the 4" springs I'm probably gonna get bumpsteer again.... or should I just relocate the box or throw on from a different vehicle on there or?

Last edited:
http://www.imagestation.com/member/...um_id=4287156333&rf=&ru=/album/?id=4287156333

consider moving the shackle to the rear... i am very pleased with my srs.

i have a pretty big shackle on there and i have hit it on absolutely nothing the whole moab trip! but i hit the front hangers a few times and they hang out like 1 or 2"
those shackles will be slamming into everything if you are on any trail that is close to being tough!!!

Back