• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Live circuit?

Eagle

Lifetime NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
1984 XJ Wagoneer, 4-cylinder. (Carburetor, mechanical fuel pump.)

Starts and runs. This is good.

Battery that came in it was dead but appeared new-ish. This is not good.

When attaching a jumper pack or charger to the battery, I can hear a relay click. That was unexpected. Does anyone know if this is normal for that year XJ?

Also, in jump starting the vehicle it killed my jump box dead. I pulled the gel cell battery out of the case and it's totally dead -- zero voltage, open circuit when tested with an ohmmeter. Is this a coincidence, or could a vehicle electrical malfunction kill a jumper pack? There's no evidence inside the jumper pack case of any overheating, arcing, or short circuit. Just one second it was working ... and the next second it was dead as the proverbial doornail.

Eagle said:
1984 XJ Wagoneer, 4-cylinder. (Carburetor, mechanical fuel pump.)

Starts and runs. This is good.

Battery that came in it was dead but appeared new-ish. This is not good.

When attaching a jumper pack or charger to the battery, I can hear a relay click. That was unexpected. Does anyone know if this is normal for that year XJ?
That is normal the clicking. There is a realay up there that if the battery does not have the juice it will click when you connect jumpers. As for the dead pack I'm not sure but it sounds to me like the cell is shorted. But I have limited knowledge about them.

Ghost said:
That is normal the clicking. There is a realay up there that if the battery does not have the juice it will click when you connect jumpers. As for the dead pack I'm not sure but it sounds to me like the cell is shorted. But I have limited knowledge about them.

So the relay clicking is normal? Excellent -- many thanks.

Eagle said:
So the relay clicking is normal? Excellent -- many thanks.

It was on mine. I just got another 84 over the weekend. I'm hoping to try and turn it over soon and see if it turns. I'll let you know if it does it on that one too.

Back