PDA

View Full Version : Lopez Island Meet, Camp and BBQ

Glenn B
April 19th, 2004, 17:39
No trails, so if that is a must..... sorry.

Lopez Island is 12 miles long, 6 miles wide. Ferry leaves from Anacortes Wa (near Mount Vernon) (2 hours North od Seattle or so) and takes 45 min. or so to get here by ferry. Sight seeing and slower life is the big draw (no trails). We are in the "Bannana Belt) so much of the rain avoids us. In fact, it is pretty dry all things considered.

We have almost 2 acres here and plenty room for camping. There is also a hotel, as well as several Bed and Breakfast Inns on the island for thos so inclined.

I suggest a weekend be allotted for a trip out here, with one night (Saturday) an overnight.

Rough plan... arrive during the day Saturday (Fri Evening OK too), the earlier the better. Bring your Jeep if you like (would make a good photo Op), or the "other rig" :) Stay longer, or just the day...up to you. I suggest car pooling if possible to help with ferry wait times.

If you prefer to fly out (Kenmore Air does float planes..... great way to get here IMHO, but a little more $$), let us know in advance so we know how many to pick-up etc...

I have a smoker that makes a wonderful Salmon, ribs, steaks, chicken (built and delivered by my Dad... as published in the "FireHouse Food, Cooking with San Francisco's Firefighters", as well as a propane BBQ.

I am happy to arrange for fresh salmon, and some ribs. Steaks; I suggest you bring those from the mainland. Tri-Tip is perfect, or your preference. The grocery store closes at 7PM, so bring some beer, soda, beverage of choice. :)

Spouses and children welcome. We have a large trampoline, and various other things for kids to do. Wireless internet for those that need to keep in touch.... and access to our computers as well. May even consider a Live Web Cam, courtesy of www.sb-host.com (http://www.sb-host.com/) :)

The main activity would be some sights of the island for those that want to. Otherwise.... firepit, camping, BBQ, and beverages.

The hard part is the week-end to do this. So.... for those interested, throw out some dates.
All are welcome, would be fun to make this happen. :)

Glenn

Willis
April 19th, 2004, 18:04
Sounds good. I suggest a potluck. If every family brought $20 worth of food and drink (family drinks for dinner time), we'd have a pretty good feast!

I can bring $20 worth of marinated tri-tips.

Glenn B
April 19th, 2004, 18:14
yum! Tri-tips. :)

Beer, spirits, wine, etc.... are very much welcome. Just remember we are inviting families too, so not a "Naked Beezil Fest" type thing. I intend to have fun, that is for sure....but not "completely" nutz. hehe

Oh yeah, if anybody is in to Kayaks or bikes, this is a great place to do that.
Glenn

XJourney
April 19th, 2004, 20:14
I definitily second the potluck idea.
How about dogs? Our son is not allowed to stay at home alone ;)
He is well behaved. And kid friendly. And comes with his own dog house.
And his own shit scooper.
Or he can stay with his grandparents.

What are the prices for the ferry?

ECKSJAY
April 19th, 2004, 20:21

What are the prices for the ferry?

Fares:
http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries/pdf/2004_fares.pdf

Schedules:
http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries/schedules/current/index.cfm?route=ana-sj&direction=west

XJourney
April 19th, 2004, 20:28
Ask and you shall receive. Thanks Phil that was fast. :clap:

Glenn B
April 19th, 2004, 20:31

What are the prices for the ferry?Fares range from $22 to $30's. Tickets are round trip.... pay to get out here, return is free. :) Cheaper if a few folks ride together.
http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries/info_desk/fares/index.cfm?fareroute_id=8082&route_abbrev=ana-sj

Dogs, sure. We have a dog.... he acts tough, but is harmless and absolutely loves our kids and their friends. :)

Glenn

TRNDRVR
April 19th, 2004, 21:27
The hard part is the week-end to do this. So.... for those interested, throw out some dates.
I was going to say fall chinook season and fly out from UT....

not a "Naked Beezil Fest" type thing. I intend to have fun, that is for sure....but not "completely" nutz. hehe..but now I'm having second thoughts. :dunno:

Dan.

Willis
April 20th, 2004, 21:25
So, let's not do the restaurant meeting and do it at Glenns for the weekend.

How's May 15 & 16th? The 9th is Mother's Day, so not a good weekend.

Kristen, don't worry, we'll plan another one before the Summer ends!

Steve

Willis
April 20th, 2004, 21:28
..but now I'm having second thoughts. :dunno:

Dan.

So if we do have a naked Beezil fest you'll show up?

TRNDRVR
April 21st, 2004, 13:27
So if we do have a naked Beezil fest you'll show up?
:anon: :moon:

XJourney
April 21st, 2004, 23:29
15th and 16th sounds good to me. You can count me in for two.

ECKSJAY
April 22nd, 2004, 01:33
15th and 16th sounds good to me. You can count me in for two.

Don't you mean three? What about your son? :D

JJ13
April 22nd, 2004, 05:11
If I get moved into the new house in time, you can count my family in for a total of 3.

XJourney
April 22nd, 2004, 23:10
Don't you mean three? What about your son? :D
Maybe it is just my son and me? Or you could count me in for three. Thanks :doh:

ECKSJAY
April 23rd, 2004, 02:27
Maybe it is just my son and me? Or you could count me in for three. Thanks :doh:

LOL, I figured it could just be you two... Nothing wrong with that. I'd like to meet him, of course. I miss mine since he passed on 2 years ago.

Willis
April 23rd, 2004, 19:23
I'll be there, 3.

Let's get a list started:

I got tri-tips, and some misc items that always need to be grabbed last minute.

Glenn said ribs and/or salmon

Eckjay mentioned brauts?

Hows about:
Burgers and dogs (with buns and fixins)?
Tater/Macaroni salad?
Beans?
Jello/Fruit salad?
Silverware/Plates/Bowls?
??????

If you make a dish, bring a serving utensil.

Steve

XJourney
April 24th, 2004, 09:22
"I" (really my wife) will do Mac/Tat salad. plus what ever needs to be covered.

Ecksjay I meant to send you a pic a while ago, but could get your email. Pm me your email and I will send a pic of him.

ECKSJAY
April 24th, 2004, 09:45
Yeah, sign me up for a dozen brats (don't want too many since we'll have lots of other stuff...I'll bring more if we confirm more people) and sauerkraut, onions, cheese, and garlic. I could probably get one of the small kegs of Beck's to bring along, too. ;) Brats are always best with kraut and beer. :D My GF makes a killer artichoke dip, too.

Just need a grill, Glenn. :D

Glenn B
April 24th, 2004, 10:24
Yeah, sign me up for a dozen brats (don't want too many since we'll have lots of other stuff...I'll bring more if we confirm more people) and sauerkraut, onions, cheese, and garlic. I could probably get one of the small kegs of Beck's to bring along, too. ;) Brats are always best with kraut and beer. :D My GF makes a killer artichoke dip, too.

Just need a grill, Glenn. :D
I have the propane BBQ, as well as the briquette smoker/BBQ. I may need to round up another BBQ.... will see how many are coming as it gets closer. :)
Glenn

ladywolf
April 24th, 2004, 22:34
Hey guys its just lil ol me. right now things are lookin like i might be home in aug/sept timeframe. good enuf weather for it to cool off just a hair, but still nice and warm for bbq's, trail, etc. . . will keep you all posted.....have fun w/ the bbq, hope you get lots of people to show up. lookin forward to meeting all of you guys one of these days in the future. Weather here is getting hotter by the day, it would be great weather to go to the pool (if we had a pool). dont be suprised when i show up if i just stare in awe at indoor plumbing (its a major thing now, since i havent seen it in a year). and yes, good food is something i'll be gaping at also, after eating hadji bk and kbr for a year and a half straight

Willis
April 24th, 2004, 23:14
Well, keep us informed, and maybe we'll have another one when you get back.

Kinda one BBQ to bring in the nice weather, one to bid it farewell.

Steve

ECKSJAY
April 25th, 2004, 09:25
The way it's looking it might be our housewarming. Interest rates are going to go up soon so we're thinking about holding off on modding the Jeep and just getting a house instead. I'll be up at Glenn's but the July trip looks like it'll be out.

JJ13
April 26th, 2004, 23:44
Speaking of housewarming...gonna have to refinish the hardwood floors in my new house this coming weekend. The following weekend is mothersday, so that leaves the weekend of the BBQ for me to move into my new digs. I will have to hold off till July to meet you guys :bawl:

My_Little_Pony
April 27th, 2004, 10:18
Well, this being my first post....am I invited???? My buddy and I might come on up with our xj's and of course can't go without the girlfriend and the mutt.

Glenn B
April 27th, 2004, 16:40
Well, this being my first post....am I invited???? My buddy and I might come on up with our xj's and of course can't go without the girlfriend and the mutt.
If you are considering join up with the chapter, you are more than welcome to come on out IMHO. Good way to get to know some of the people, as well as ask about what NAXJA is all about..... as well as food, beverages, good people, scenery, and more............

Glenn

red91
April 27th, 2004, 17:24
No trails, so if that is a must..... sorry.

Lopez Island is 12 miles long, 6 miles wide. Ferry leaves from Anacortes Wa (near Mount Vernon) (2 hours North od Seattle or so) and takes 45 min. or so to get here by ferry. Sight seeing and slower life is the big draw (no trails). We are in the "Bannana Belt) so much of the rain avoids us. In fact, it is pretty dry all things considered.

We have almost 2 acres here and plenty room for camping. There is also a hotel, as well as several Bed and Breakfast Inns on the island for thos so inclined.

I suggest a weekend be allotted for a trip out here, with one night (Saturday) an overnight.

Rough plan... arrive during the day Saturday (Fri Evening OK too), the earlier the better. Bring your Jeep if you like (would make a good photo Op), or the "other rig" :) Stay longer, or just the day...up to you. I suggest car pooling if possible to help with ferry wait times.

If you prefer to fly out (Kenmore Air does float planes..... great way to get here IMHO, but a little more $$), let us know in advance so we know how many to pick-up etc...

I have a smoker that makes a wonderful Salmon, ribs, steaks, chicken (built and delivered by my Dad... as published in the "FireHouse Food, Cooking with San Francisco's Firefighters", as well as a propane BBQ.

I am happy to arrange for fresh salmon, and some ribs. Steaks; I suggest you bring those from the mainland. Tri-Tip is perfect, or your preference. The grocery store closes at 7PM, so bring some beer, soda, beverage of choice. :)

Spouses and children welcome. We have a large trampoline, and various other things for kids to do. Wireless internet for those that need to keep in touch.... and access to our computers as well. May even consider a Live Web Cam, courtesy of www.sb-host.com (http://www.sb-host.com/) :)

The main activity would be some sights of the island for those that want to. Otherwise.... firepit, camping, BBQ, and beverages.

All are welcome, would be fun to make this happen. :)

Glenn
Beautiful place up there. Hven't made it there for 3 yrs, and miss it. I kinda liked shaw island. Even smaller, but the fransiscan nuns were always nice.

Glenn B
April 27th, 2004, 17:30
Beautiful place up there. Hven't made it there for 3 yrs, and miss it. I kinda liked shaw island. Even smaller, but the fransiscan nuns were always nice.
Hehe, yeah. Shaw is quaint. The Nuns are selling off many of their interests.... so no idea where that will be going. Maybe we can get the ferries to stop going there, and let private enterprise pick that up. :)
Glenn