• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

axle leaking

mgt

NAXJA Member #653
my front axle is leaking i think from the outer seal. Is that hard to replace ? (99 dana 30 w/ arb)

There is no "outer seal", only an inner. You must pull both axles and the carrier to change the seals.

CRASH

I think my pinion seal is leaking on the 9". Is that an easy fix?

basalt51 said:
I think my pinion seal is leaking on the 9". Is that an easy fix?

Yes. Remove the pinion and the bearing support. Clamp the pinion support in a vice, pry out the seal, and replace. Reassemble and torque.

Andy

cherokeepimpin said:
id just put those aftermarket outer seals on it(if it was the inners) and see if that would stop it.

It might stop you from seeing it, but you would be fibing up on the inner seals and running a tube filled with diff fluid.
Bad idea.
The outer seals are a good idea, but fix the inner first.
I just did mine.
The seals can be pried out with anything, but must be presses in from the pumpkin, requiring a long piece of all-thread, and various sockets and washers and the like.
If you can spare 200 bucks or so, just get them both done somewhere if you are nervous about it.
HTH.
Hasta.

only 200, i thought someone said that the carrier had to be pulled. i have no idea what would have to be done to do these, but if the carrier had to be pulled i figured it would be expensive

?????

Before I decided to do mine, my guy at the STEALERSHIP(??!!??) quoted me $260 for both seals, with parts.
Shop around.
GI-John made a tool and did it recently, so I would PM him.
Good luck, Mike.
Hasta.

Chicago Driveline does good work, but they definitely ain't cheap. Did you try calling Vefron? 598-1890 in Bridgeview. Wally's not exactly cheap either, but I'd think he'd be less than Chi. Driveline. He's always done good work on my vehicles.

I don't know any places out here (i'm from ca) so any places you guys know of in the chicago area would be a big help
Thanks.

mgt said:
I don't know any places out here (i'm from ca) so any places you guys know of in the chicago area would be a big help
Thanks.

Where in CA are you from? I recently moved from Mt Prospect where I'm from originally to Citrus Heights (Sacramento) about a 1-1/2 yrs ago with my wife.

mgt said:
I moved from south orange county (mission Viejo).

Are you getting used to the weather? I miss the good food in Chicago, the gyros, roast beef, polish sausage, pizza, etc. The food out there is awesome. My parents, sister, grandmother etc live in the Rockford area. My parents are coming out to visit me in Cali so I hope to show them a good time out here. Do you go to the Badlands alot? I was there twice, the 1st time I blew my motor in my 91' yj in a huge water/mud pit and the next time my 94' heavily modified wrangler did great with no hitches. Have you been the the off-road park in Freeport? I haven't been there yet, but I have seen some pics on the internet and it looks good.
Later...Troy

I've been there twice, it's fun but can't compare to calif wheeeling. Cant wait to get back out there

I replaced my outer seal and bearing in my D 44 in auto shop. It took longer to find the right bearing and seal than it did to put it in. I needed to press on the bearing. It cost $55 for the bearing and $15 for the bearing for Napa.

anyone know of good shops in chicago area to replace axle seals. And should i do any upgrades while its apart. already has arb with 4:10 gears.

Did you try Vefron? Wally's been doing gears and such for 20 years or so, and his shop is only about 10 minutes from you..

lesslimited said:
Chicago Driveline does good work, but they definitely ain't cheap. Did you try calling Vefron? 598-1890 in Bridgeview. Wally's not exactly cheap either, but I'd think he'd be less than Chi. Driveline. He's always done good work on my vehicles.

I just talked to vefron and he also wanted $450

Back