• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

More inchitus! Opinions needed...

BillR

Toy Jeep driver!
I'm currently sitting at around 4 1/2-5" of lift. If I crank my ACOS up an inch and install a 1" block in the rear, would I be screwing anything else up? I have RE UCAs and LCAs, and an adjustable trackbar. I KNOW I'd need longer shocks, but would I be getting to the point where I'd NEED the control arm drop? What else am I missing?:confused:
TIA!:cool:

At that point you are getting to the point of drop brackest or long arms i just tried to get away with it and in the moring i'll finish my long arms so i can go over 25 with out the wonderfull DW

Bill, I have the same lift as you (RE4.5" + spacer) with the exception maybe that I have the 1462 (4.5") leaf pack. I am looking to do the same thing as you which is basically bring the lift up to 6". Since I already have the 1462 leaf pack and want the RE HD trackbar bad, I'm going to upgrade my kit into the RE 5.5" kit. Control arm drop brackets will be a big plus.

I just did this. I have rusty's 4.5 coils and leaf pack, I added a poly spacer in the front and RE shackles in the back. I went with RE drop brackets at the same time. It's awesome!! Mine is a 98 so I also had to hack off about 8 inches off the tailpipe. FWIW:D

98 classic said:
I just did this. I have rusty's 4.5 coils and leaf pack, I added a poly spacer in the front and RE shackles in the back. I went with RE drop brackets at the same time. It's awesome!! Mine is a 98 so I also had to hack off about 8 inches off the tailpipe. FWIW:D

You may have to knock off even more, the exhaust gasses are hot and I toasted one bushing. Many have cut it at the end of the muffler.

Bill,
The big thing to prepare for is the caster and drag link angle changes. After putting on the 2" spacer in the front, making it 6.5", I got DW. Now your going to 5" - 5.5" maybe you won't have too much trouble. After that I put the RE Brackets I bought from Gary and it help along with a good alignment. At 5" and over you really need to address the steering link angles, drop pitman, inverted T or over the knuckle. You can get away with the OEM steering links but if you concerned about safety and trail durablitly, they really need to be a priority.

As far as shocks you can get away with what you have if they are rated for a 4.5" lift. You just will do get the all the droop until you get some new shocks.

i've been looking pretty seriously into stepping my 4.5" lift to 6.5 as well. my main concern is driveline vibes. i don't have any now and i want to keep it that way. everyone else ok with stock shafts and 6"? about the rubicon control arm drops, do they drop both upper and lower arms or just one or the other? what do they cost? i've already got extended LCA's. if i get the drop brackets will i be fairly close to the caster specs i oughta be at? thanks again everyone

I think that at 6.5" you are looking at SYE and a new shaft ... even though you have the older XJ with older tcase output... you're kind of pushing not only angles but shaft length as well....

Kejtar

i've got a idea that sounds somewhat complicated to explain but is actually simple so please just bear with me. i've got access to a lift whenever i want it so i was thinkin about measuring the distance from the top of my tires to the bottom of my fender flares and then putting the jeep in the air and putting jackstands under the axles and letting it down on the stands till i get a measurement between the tires and flares that is 2" more than what i got the first time. i could then see how much travel my slip yoke has and also run the speedo up to 70 or so and check for vibes. whats everyone think? any reason it wouldnt work? also, to be safe, how much travel should my slip yoke have before it comes apart? thanks again.

My tailpipe was getting crunched by the shackle so I just took a hacksaw to clear it, I may put a trndown on it later.

Back