• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Full-Traction Long Arm kit installed

Capt. Nemo

NAXJA Member #904
I just finished the Full-Traction 6” long arm install this weekend. I just need to go have the rig aligned and install the shocks (OME’s) that arrive tomorrow or Tuesday. I’m happy with how it’s turned out, but I will really be happy if it performs well on the trail. So far, my biggest complaints are: 1) The sway bar disconnects snap, crackle, and pop while driving down the street. The pins are a tad loose in their holes, allowing some up and down movement when connected. 2) I don’t know how other instructions are from other kits, but someone who wasn’t mechanically inclined would have a hard time with some of the installation. For example, the instructions say to install the adjustable track bar to the axle with the 1/2” bolt. Well, maybe it’s just me, but the original bolt was nowhere near a ½”. I had to drill out the hole and cut part of the axle bracketry so that I could get a wrench behind it to tighten the bolt. There are a few other things like this, but for the most part all of the brackets were easy to locate and attach, and the installation went as well as to be expected.
Here's part of the bracket install:
6b5d.jpg

Here's the rear completed with the newly regeared (4.88's) D44:
c1a1.jpg

Front corner:
f513.jpg

Front head on shot:
90dc.jpg

That's all the pics for now. After I get the shocks installed, I'll be able to drive this to work and use the forklift to get some flex shots. I'm excited to get the Aussie Lockers installed, put the rocker protection on, and go wheeling!

just a little fyi.

i can only see the last pic (and it does look good). i tried cutting and pasting and it said file not found.

hpi_jeep said:
wait untill your bushings start falling out.

I guess you're looking for a reaction from me, so I'll humor you... Explain? Are you referring to the UCA bushings on the axle? I am thinking about going with the Currie Johnny Joint setup anyway, so until they fall out, I'll keep running them.

I'll try to post the pics again. Is there a file size limitation? I see them, what are you guys seeing? This computer stuff never has liked me that well...

6b5d.jpg

c1a1.jpg

f513.jpg

90dc.jpg

If this doesn't work, I'll delete the thread and try again later...

Looks great! What size tires did you go with, and do you have anymore pics of the rest of the kit from underneath? Who did you order from?

I'll get some more pics of the underneath when I flex it at the end of the week. I ordered the kit from Dirk at DPG Offroad. The tires are 35" BFG Mud's.

For kicks, I went out and snapped a couple of more pics. Hopefully these turn out.
4da7.jpg

Front driveshaft not installed yet...
cb8b.jpg

e4ba.jpg

c5e2.jpg

ab59.jpg

Awesome! Is it just me, or is that bolt on the UCA really long?:D
cb8b.jpg

GottaBeJeep said:
Awesome! Is it just me, or is that bolt on the UCA really long?:D
cb8b.jpg

Yes, it's really long, and really expensive when you screw it up... That's the second attempt after wrecking the first bolt and having to order a new one from FT. The instructions list it at 9.5" long, but I measured it to try and get a new one form the hardware store and found it to be about 10". FT uses these lock nuts on all of their bolts that are deformed at one end and kind-of-like seize themselves on after they're bolted on. Well, the nut seized itself on prematurely and wouldn't tighten any further. I had to cut the bolt and order a new one. $14 plus shipping!

Capt. Nemo ...

Would have liked to seen your XJ with the Full-Traction setup ... but those pics are DOA.

I've tried on two different systems using:

MS Explorer 6.0.2800.1106 SP1
MS Explorer 6.0.2800.1106.xpsp2 SP1

??

No pics anywhere in the post, just Xs.

Captain ....

The one with the fork lift came up then disappeared ...

Are you resizing those jpegs before attaching them ?

Seems like there getting scrubbed for some reason.

Back