• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Newbie...86 Comanche question

LonePineComanche

NAXJA Forum User
Hello everyone. Got myself a nice 86 Comanche with the long bed.
It drives nice except for one thing.....NO POWER UPHILLS. It has the little 2.8 V6. I think that in itself might be the problem. Coming on I40 I had to drop down to 4th gear. And then going up Hwy 2 where I live I had to drop down to 3rd. It has 265/r75/15 tires. Any solutions??

well you could do one of several things. Leave it alone and live with it. Drop a 3.1 or 3.4 in there. Or snatch it all and put a V-8 in!

Tires are too big. Stock size was probably either 205/75R15 or 215/75R15. You need either smaller tires or more gear.

But it'll never be a rocket ship.

Oh yea or you could opt for a more modern 2.5L MPI engine! But like Eagle said it will never be a rocket ship!

Eagle said:
Tires are too big. Stock size was probably either 205/75R15 or 215/75R15. You need either smaller tires or more gear.

But it'll never be a rocket ship.
Just as long as im able to go up hills at 55 mph.
My freind has 235/75R on his wrangler. He wants to swap tires. Would that help??

LonePineComanche said:
My freind has 235/75R on his wrangler. He wants to swap tires. Would that help??

It will certainly help, but I can't predict how much. The difference will be incremetal, not earth-shattering.

Back