• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

buggy no start

stadlermco

NAXJA Forum User
I had this pos running around easter and then towed it through a snow
storm and now it won't start. I didn't want to have it coated in the
mag chloride so I pressure washed it being kinda careful not to
directly blast any major electrical components. I have a 90 xj
engine and it will crank forever, but never fire up. I have around
39 psi at the rail and spark at the plugs. There seemed to be a
littel bit of fuel in the cylinders, but not very much at all. My
guess is that the injectors aren't doing anything. I replaced the
distributor with my spare to see if I had a problem with the old cam
position sensor and that didn't make any difference. I have a np 435
behind the engine and the cps mount worked while in the old cherokee
and worked two weeks ago in the buggy. While in the xj though the
wires did get some heat damage, but never shorted and have worked for
a while. Do I have a problem with my fusible links or sensors? and what's the best way to test them? Thanks a lot for any help.
mike

Sounds familiar. Get a new set of plug and try. Sounds like your plugs are wet and that will cause no end of problems. Otherwise pull all the plugs and wash them out with starter fluid and let them dry completely. If you have a air compressor, run compressed air into the cylinders and dry them out. It wouldn't hurt to squirt a touch of oil in each cylinder after drying them out because the raw gas has washed down the walls and there will be no lubrication on them.

Then when you go to start it, have one person crank it while the gas pedal is left alone. The other person should take the tps and hold it in the wide open throttle position. That will tell the computer not to put out any gas while you crank. Once it starts to fire, release the TPS. It will blow a ton of black smoke for a minute or two, but should be fine.

This is a common complaint. If you crank it too long without it starting, the plugs get wet and won't arc correctly.

I changed the plugs, cap and rotor before replacing the distributor. How do you hold the tps open, or do you mean the throttle? Could it be a bad ground somewhere? thanks for the help.
mike

One thing that I did think of was that I'm not using the fuel pump relay. I have a fuel cell and wired the pump directly to the ignition wiring. Could it affect the injectors?
mike

Try spraying starter fluid into the air intake on the throttle body while chanking it over. If it runs (a little) your problem is fuel system, If it don't look for electrical thouble.
Chuck

It starts and loafs while spraying the starter fluid. After that it would almost want to catch on a few cyls, but never started. Some people think that it might be a problem with the tps. It's not soaked plugs.
mike

Back