• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gear install sites? instructions? tools?

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
Does anyone know of any links that have step by step gear install instructions?? Also do I need any special tools for isntalling D44 and D30 gears??

Beezil said:
how long you been on this forum kejtar?

searchie searchie.

the good threads are out there.

I found threads on this forum, but I am looking for specific sites that anyone might have come across :D

Kejtar said:
I found threads on this forum, but I am looking for specific sites that anyone might have come across :D

randys faq

west coast differentials....

there was a good TOTW on gear set ups on POR....

some bs you have to wade through though

Beezil said:
there was a good TOTW on gear set ups on POR....

That TOTW rocks!!! After reading it, I do have a question though: is it worth it to do the two sets of bearings for the install: one loose (for adjustment) another normal? In the rear I will have most likely Detroit locker so I will not have to fumble with the old carrier (probably would have needed a new one anyways).

Kejtar said:
That TOTW rocks!!! After reading it, I do have a question though: is it worth it to do the two sets of bearings for the install: one loose (for adjustment) another normal? In the rear I will have most likely Detroit locker so I will not have to fumble with the old carrier (probably would have needed a new one anyways).

Got a link to it?

I went and saw the "What do you want to learn this year?" thread and it had a link to all the TOTWs, but its not working.

ChuckD said:
If you buy your stuff from RawBrown, he offers free tech support via eamil and such. He and Beezil were very informative on my D30 install. If you have a Digital camers, we can tell ya if your close. Goodluck, the key is to take your time!!!

Yup, I will be buying from RawBrown everything within about a month unless I come across an extremely good deal (got my no slip used for $75 a while back), but I think I have used my luck on on other things....
Anyways, since my D44 is not under the vehicle, that means that I should be able to do it relaxed. Also if I don't pickup a DD by then, I might get a front axle to throw under the XJ temporarily while I'm working on the gears :D

Kejtar said:

The sales man at Randy,s R+P wouldnt sell me a set of the set up bearings.He told me to hone out the old bearings with a cylinder hone and use them to set things up.
Took the bearings to work and used a flapper wheel and some grinding paste with the drill press to open the bearings up.
Wayne

Wayne Sihler said:
The sales man at Randy,s R+P wouldnt sell me a set of the set up bearings.He told me to hone out the old bearings with a cylinder hone and use them to set things up.
Took the bearings to work and used a flapper wheel and some grinding paste with the drill press to open the bearings up.
Wayne

A set of homemade set-up bearings is the way to go like Wayne says. It's no fun having to press the pinion bearing off and on everytime especially without the "proper" tools. I did new gears last year for the first time using info from here and info from Randys R&P. It took me 4 days to do both axles. I wish I would have had luck like some do and the pattern was close the first time. Working lying on your back on the cement is no fun either.

ACE said:
A set of homemade set-up bearings is the way to go like Wayne says. It's no fun having to press the pinion bearing off and on everytime especially without the "proper" tools. I did new gears last year for the first time using info from here and info from Randys R&P. It took me 4 days to do both axles. I wish I would have had luck like some do and the pattern was close the first time. Working lying on your back on the cement is no fun either.

Well I'm hoping for the one time pattern setup as well :D but if that doesn't work, my axles will be out of the jeep for the install so it shouldn't be as painful :party:

Kejtar said:
Is it worth it to do the two sets of bearings for the install: one loose (for adjustment) another normal? In the rear I will have most likely Detroit locker so I will not have to fumble with the old carrier (probably would have needed a new one anyways).

Kejtar ... I am by no means at all an expert, so take this advice accordingly ... I just got done with my gear and locker install; Detroits and 4.88's. I took the new bearings, pinion shaft, and lockers to the local machine shop I do business with and had the shafts all "dressed" to match the ID of the bearings. Still a press fit, but much more workable with regrards to the shimming process.

Les

I'm also a neophyte on gears but I have been watching and held pumpkins while my friend has set them up, big fords and a couple of racing corvettes. The main tools that he placed the strongest emphisis on were the paint for the pattern and the torque wrench for checking the pinion tension. saw some of those diffs come all the way apart and get put back together from bad torque readings.
On sat one of the vettes was doing some runs at pocono intl and when I stopped by the shop to say hi he was checking the gears to see how they were doing after a few 180mph + runs round the circuit, he got it right and they were wearing nicely.
Cultivate a few friends that have those kind of shops and help with a few, thats what I'm doing, learning a bit at a time but I'll get there. Helping someone move a 300lb rear around to get it into position to work on is worth a few brownie points as well as getting you fingers into some ouch zones :D.
I'm collecting the rear disk brake parts for my 8.25 and seeing as how we have to pull the axles anyway will put a TA, LSD or locker, not sure yet, while we are doing it. Who knows, I might even run into a set of 3:55's during my travels....

Back