• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Rearend switch worked GREAT!!

cbert1234

NAXJA Forum User
WELL WELL WELL, first things first liquid wrench EVERY BOLT FIRST ATLEAST TWICE!!today started at 8:00am taking the rearend out, got it out in about 30mins, drum to drum. loaded up the axle, went to 4 different junks yards to get the right one, the 4th junk yard had the exact rearend that my was(it was a hard one to find) bought the rearend for $265 out the door, and that is also drum to drum, took the rearend home, cleaned everything up on the one from the junk yard, wire brushed it, wire wheeled, changed fluid in the pig, painted the pig cover black, took the drums, shoes, hardware, off my old rearend and used it on the new(junkyard) rearend. Wire brushed just about everything to remove all of the rust. Geased up all the new parts, bought 2 new brake lines total cost about $10. A lot of time was spent on taking off the brakes and cleaning them up and reusing them on the new rearend. We put all the brake parts on while the axle was out of the car, then connected all the brake lines. then we were ready to try to install the rearend, Bloted right up no problems at all, U-bolts went right on, shocks lined right up, drive shaft then was put back in. connected the brake lines back up, and it was ready for bleeding of the brakes and adjusting the brake shoes. didnt finish the job until 11:15pm, that is non stop working, 15mins for breakfast and 15 for dinner, but trust me if any one is looking to just throw a rearend in and not do it the right way it would only take 5-6 hours, but we did it the right way cleaned every part, removed 80% of the rust and sprayed each part we could with clear Lacquer so it would rust as fast. Everything runs great now, no noise, seems like a good fix to the problem!!!!!any other questions feel free top email me at [email protected]

Back