• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Motor mounts

yellowxj

NAXJA Forum User
Engine slid forward and wrecked a radiator last week. Found the broken motormount and chained it down. Smug with my quick fix I tried to drive it up on a trailer with out letting down the ramps and promtly ruined my spare radiator. :banghead: My first thought was to chain down the other mount too cause I'm that cheap.

Could you all please help me with reports of how well different brands of aftermarket mounts work and how much they cost. Or any home made mounts that a person with limited skills and a welder could make. I need to order new mounts on monday so let me know what you would get/have. Thanks.

motor mounts

The cheap way to go is Rusty's, the best way to go is Mountain Off Road. They have the torsen rubber bushing, super strong and quit. I think 120.00 or so, Rusty's is 79, but uses a urthane bushing, loud. I have the MORE, they are like new and are 2 years old.

How are the Currie mounts? Looks like $80 for the pair. Any body with experience on these mounts. Should I get Curries instead of Rustys. I dont care about noise or vibration. This aint a xj thats about quiet or pretty.

I got Rusty's. They're really nice, and they almost fit perfectly. They are louder, but that dosn't bother me. they certainly keep the engine held in place a lot better than broken stock ones. I reccomend them, I don't think you could break them without N2O or somthing like that :)

I say spend the money and get the MORE ones, had themm for about 2 years now with hard wheeling and they still look like new and don't squeak.

A local XJer around here installed the MORE ones and took 'em off a week later. Said it made the whole Jeep shake and rattle with the engine. Way too stiff. He went back to replacement stock mounts and the vibrations are all gone. Anyone else have similar experience?

IIRC there were the OLD more mounts which would make you loose your teeth while driving and NEW mounts which are supposed to be amazing :) :)

Kejtar

I, too, heard about the change in mount design, but this event transpired not even a couple months ago. I'm pretty sure it was with the new style mounts.

Thanks for all the advice, love the looks of the more mounts but cant spend that much. I've got a tiny budget (basically what ever the wife spends on her stuff I get to match, keeps her from spending too much.) It looks like I will get the rustys mounts and a daystar trans mount. Those together still cost less than just the more mounts. Thanks again. T.

Back