• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Won't go out of park

BPB

NAXJA Forum User
This jeep keeps giving me more and more problems, today I went to move my jeep (1990 4.0 a/t) and the button on the shifter wouldn't go in, once I turned of the engine it let me. So now I have to put it in nutral before I start it otherwise I'm not going any where, it is already getting old.

there is a plug that has two small wires behind the gas pedal that plugs into the shift cable. should be a little white plug just unplug it and away you go. Keep in mind doing this will make it where it can be taken out of park even without the key in the ignition.
DIG IT!

My guess is that handle is worn out. Happened on my 88 XJ in the past 2 years. Either go to the junk yark and pick one up OR order a new one from the dealer.

To remove just pull up on the handle with the button. Do be affraid to use 20 pounds of force. Then you place the new handle on the shaft and push down.

If that does not fix it then the plastic tube in the center is worn, have to get one of those at the junk yard OR buy a whole new shifter assembly.

Let me ask, are you pressing in on the brake pedal before you try to shift? If you do press in and the button does not move it could be a bad handle or the shift interlock has failed.

If the shift interlock has failed then take it to the dealer, it was installed as part of a recall. It has a LIFETIME OF THE VEHICLE warranty. No time or mileage limits. When my shifter was messing up the shift interlock has failed, chrysler installed a new one at no cost to me. I still had to pay for the shift handle.

Rez*Buxing0g Jdep þt nf s´gte. . .

èf the DMV does it correct, they have to visually look at the catalytic 2onvdrte’'and maËo sure it is stamped "C¾M.R.B. àprnved, look into if the "high flow" cat thats on it is stamped or not, most aftermarket cats are not. There are some out there that are though, I got one thats stamped for around $100 shipped, so it shouldnt be a big deal if thats all you have to replace.

Edit: I'm not sure if this applies to 1992 or not, I dont know if its just OBDII that needs a C.A.R.B. approved cat or OBDI also.

Back