• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I want to run 31s what's the best lift for the money

isaacson

NAXJA Forum User
I'm going to run 31's what's the best lift for the money? I'm going to build a trail rig in the next year so this will be for daily driving and some offroading, but isn't going to be my trail rig for hammering on so I don't need something super flexy just some lift and a nice ride. thanks for the help

I'd like to know this as well. I am new here too, and from what i have seen by searching on these forums is that it depends on what you want it to do, and what will come with the lift. Looks like some guys like the OME lifts, and they will clear 31's. Rubicon Express seems to be favored heavily as well, but they seem a bit more hard core than what you are looking for.

Oh, The poo is about to fly!

I have been running a 3 inch Skyjacker softride system for the last 60,000+ miles with 31s and it has performed wonderfully for me. It rides better than stock and it performs well off road. The only complaint I have is that the front springs have turned pink.(guess I should have been waxing them)

I would say there are several lifts out there that will fit the bill for you.

Last edited:
RE 3.5" w/ springpacks. Its great for DD, LOL hardcore....

I've installed a few lifts and my suggestion for 31's is 5 inchs of lift. I would also suggest Pro-Comps 3 inch lift and combine Daystars 2 inch lift. (spacers & shackles) Thats what I'm running on my XJ now. One other thing a 1 inch TC drop will be needed. I've had $1500 lift kits in the past and this lift combo (for the money) is the best I've had. $600 for it all! And if you shop around the forums on the Net you could get it a whole lot cheaper.

Cut the fenders for TJ flares and your done. :D
If it won't do much offroading, you can't beat the $99 Rough Country 3" lifts price. I ran this lift for a year and was pretty happy with it. The front springs will sag about an inch so order a 1" poly spacer. I wheeled the crap out of that suspension, and the springs were good enough to stuff the tires to the metal even after I instlled my TJ flares. The rear with the AAL is a little stiff but I liked the ride quality. This is definately not ideal for wheeling but it was problem free for me exept for breaking a block in half, but keep all 4 tires on the ground and you'll be fine.

Last edited:
How much money are you looking to spend? What year XJ do you have? On a pre97 you can get away with 31s on a 2" BB, and they will work fine for you offroad, and still ride good onroad because you still have the factory springs. If you want to spend a little more then just get a 3" kit.

It really depends on your budget, but if you want to get as cheap as possible a 2" BB is the way to go.

One question that I'd address is the vehical MY. Early 90's models had SYE type rr driveshaft (it withstood more lift before it gave rear noise and vibrations from change in rear pinion angles caused by lifts > 3". If it's mostly a DD like mine, you should be adaquate with 3" and a true 31 x 10.5 tire. If lots of rockcrawling isn't in your future then 3" is fine. Anything 4" or higher usually requires extra supporting suspension/steering changes (dropped pittman arm, adj. trac bar, adj. LCA's & UCA's, possible a SYE on later models,.....on average - you're pretty safe up to 3".....over 3", dig a litle deeper in your pocket :D
BTW, I have a 3" Med. Dty OME suspension with OME steering stabilizer. Use the factory rubber rr spring bushings. It is a very nice suspension upgrade (about $700 - $750 at Rocky Mountain Outfitters. Good guys to deal with)

BLUTO

"Early 90's models had SYE type rr driveshaft (it withstood more lift before it gave rear noise and vibrations from change in rear pinion angles caused by lifts > 3"..."

Say What? All 4.0 XJs came with a 231 or 242 case with a slipyoke.

Stock coils w/2" poly spacers $40. Rubicons 2.5" full aal $65. Steel shims for the rear axle$35. OME heavy duty shocks all the way around $260.(There soft ride shocks are too soft) or you can substitute a different shock of the same operating length. Your 31's will rub your cotrol arms at full lock but can be fixed easily. If flexed hard (disconects removed), your front inner fender liners will pay a price. One of many options and combitations but this gets you a pretty nice ride.

. Early 90's models had SYE type rr driveshaft (it withstood more lift before it gave rear noise and vibrations from change in rear pinion angles caused by lifts > 3".

SPOBI. like woody said all xj's either have a 231 or 242 t-case. A factory sye has never existed on any xj. Again what year your xj is makes a big difference in what you will need.

Yes, MY BAD! :eek:
I was trying to convey that I've read that the (pre-97 models) were more condusive to a mild lift before getting driveline vibes, I THINK it had to do with the placement (where) of the SY on the DS.
BLUTO :eek:

Your probably right about the SYE, so just budget for one. The hack and tap version is pretty cheap for the newer XJs, and if you are wanting to do this on a smaller budget, that's the way to go.

As far as the lift is concerned, you would probably be happy with Rusty's 3" with full leaf packs. That will give you clearance for 31s, and not change the ride that much. If you are going to be building a seperate dedicated trail rig, the 3" kit would be your best bet.

I have done the RE 3.5" lift on two XJs: 1997 and a 2001 (two daughters and you know you can't do for one without doing for the other!). They both don't have SYEs and are at present running 31s. The '97 is smoother because it has the front HP Dana30. Never had a need for a SYE at this heighth. We wheel Tellico and Moab a mostly.

Did you have do drop the t-case and shim the rear for the 3.5 lift. I have a 2000 and here (In Australia) it comes with a HP Dana 30 front but the Dana 35 rear. Anyway, interested on what you did to them to get the lift to work with no SYE.

Cheers
Steve

I was told by 3 xj owners who had the Rough Country lift; that they were unhappy with it and to get something else. So I installed a Pro-Comp 3" lift and cut my fenders, removed inner liners and replaced them with welded in panels. I'm running 185/75-16's (32") Big-O MT's. Although the add-a-leaf is not what I preferred; I went with it for now and when funds become available; I will add a 2" coil spacer and buy 5" lift rear spring packs. I'm probably gonna do the SYE hack'n'tap I've been reading about in other threads at the same time.
Good luck with whatever you choose to do- RJ

Back