• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

roughly what will be the cost of mentioned parts

EvilCherokee

NAXJA Forum User
Thurs. when i get paid i will be parts shoppin. here is pretty much the list: thermostat(and gasket), primary fan shroud, a cts, and fan w/a new clutch as well. in a previous thread it was mentioned that the shroud would be cheap at a dealer. i'm curious as to what the cost might be for that. i know the thermostats are cheap. as for the fan and the cts, does anybody know the cost of those two items from a dealer? And would replacing the cts solve my issue of the aux. fan not kiicking in automaticly? i have replaced the fan, the relay for the fan, and the fuse for the fan(which wasn't even blown, but i replaced it anyway)only thing i haven't replaced is the cts.

Thanks

Here where I'd get the parts:

Junk Yard if you have one close:
* Used fan shroud, make sure to get the screws also
* Used fan clutch with fan
* Any missing bolts or screws you need off your XJ, usually they will say "no charge" for a few screws when you buy other stuff.

Dealer
* 195F thermostat with gasket, it the consensus on here to use a dealer thermostat. It has the vent hold, aftermarket do not. It too important to go cheap. 8-10 bucks
* Coolant temp sensor - I found my dealer is competitive on temp sensors so you will know it a good one! 25-30 bucks

Parts store you trust
* fan clutch, take in the old one of yours and make sure it the same size and the fan is positioned in the same place. 30 to 60 bucks

Get your fan clutch at NAPA for a life time guarantee. $73 or so only once for as long as you own a 4.0L. Keep the box and reciept.

Check the hub thermal spring for oily dirt. If it has some it is bad. I would not take the chance and just replace it. It makes a big difference.

fortunately i have several different auto stores in the area, and an almost equal amount of junkyards. unfortunately, only two of the junkyards actually allow you to walk around. all the others i have to wait for somebody to pull the part, and then i feel bad if they bring back the right type of part but the wrong part(i ask for a fan shroud for the i6,and he comes in with a shroud for the v6)plus if i see something that catches my eye that i didnt originally go in for. thanks for the tip on the thermostat too. i would've gone to VIP or Napa for that, and 8-10 bucks sounds right around what they go for in the parts stores. question is does the dealer thermostat come with the gasket? or is that a seperate purchase? knowing my luck, it would be seperate, and local dealer wouldn't have the gasket. blew up the quick connect clip on the tranny cooler line once, and local dealer did not have the clip. had to special order it from a dealer in Vt. what a pita. onto the cts, dealers price seems cheap, but would any of the major parts stores have it for cheaper? i can't see there being too much different from dealer and aftermarket on a part like that. i could very well be wrong, but a part like that i dont see there being much difference except for brand.

once again, thanks for the suggestions. so far everybodys been a big help in making my owning an XJ easier.

The dealer may have the thermostat packaged either way,The last one for the 98 was boxed with the gasket.
Wayne

I recently bought a 195* thermo from the dealer for my 88 and it came with two different gaskets. $12 IIRC

I paid about $17 for a fan shroud at the dealer. The OEM thermostat is better than aftermarket. The OEM unit has a small bleed hole that allows trapped air to get out more easily. Mine came with two different gaskets.

$17 isn't too bad at all for a shroud. i had priced one today at the junkyard, and it would be $15 if i pulled it myself, and $20 if one of their employees pulled it.

Back