• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need Help NOW

Yellow XJNJ

NAXJA Forum User
Putting the discos on....got the links off fine...but it appears to me (an untrained eye) that the bolt with the Star sahped head is welded (?) to the axle bracket....ive already taken a pipe wrench/mallet combo to it...nuthin....please help---running outa daylight in jersey

It is pressed in so grab the BFH and beat the snot out of it from the threaded end (note: if you have intentions of ever using the bolt again - put a nut on the end before you beat it like a stepchild) :D HTH

Matt

PS how that for service under 10 min posting to reply! ;)

HOw long do i have to do this for before i see results? I only ask this because the axle bracket isnt looking to health. Dont think it likes taking a beating.

If its looking that bad I would grind the head of the bolt off and drill / punch the remaining stub out - they can be pretty stuborn if you don't up the ante :D

You can add a little heat to the mix if you have a torch or a propane soldering torch - otherwise soak it in some PB blaster, come back in an hour beat it some, soak it some more and try again with the hammer tomorrow :rolleyes:

Personally, I think your jeep just kicked your azz :eek: (just kidding ya!) Time to do what I did; broke out the plasma and just whacked off the brackets (no sway bar, no problem!- however that is a whole other can of worms around here) :rolleyes:

Good luck

Matt

Well i got it done. Looks a bit iffy but it works--Xj has flex now. Whooo hooooo! How did I cut my hand open though? Such is life. So when i disconnect, and teh sway bar just flaps around, how do i hold it in place? Oh i got the bolts out with a torch and a friend named scotty. Hes good people. Thanks for yr help.

I had the same problems with my bolts but as I was making my own disco's I actually left them in and drilled them out while they were still on...

Anyways for temp solution, you can ziptie the bar up through the holes above it when you disconnect... that's what I do :)

Kejtar

I have seen folks hang their swaybar up with a small coilspring...I hung mine on the scrap-metal pile.

Back