• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

7.5" or 8" coils in front?

79yj

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone out there that can tell me how tall your 7.5 or 8" coil springs measure while in your XJ at level ride height?
I just put in a set of 7.5" RE springs and cant see any benefit from my old 5.5 springs other than maybe being fresh and unsagged.
What I am getting at is maybe I got a different set of springs than I ordered.
Help!
Or maybe I just need to order a set of someone elses coils.
Thanks, Eric

Re: 7.5" or 8" coils by mistake recieved 5.5??

Anyone out there that can measure your 7.5 front coils?
How about you 5.5" extreme duty front coil users, maybe if I know how much lift they give I can determine if they sent me 5.5 springs by mistake.
Help me.
Please.
Thanks, Eric

That would be awesome. I have got to get to the bottum of this quick. My XJ looks like starsky & hutch right without the stripe.
Rustys 6" leafs and a 1 1/4 shackle out back rides at least 1 1/2" higher than the 7.5 coils do up front.
Thanks for your help.
Eric

Ok I went and got my Jeep and my ZJ 4.5" springs measure out to 18 inches loaded. That is without a front bumper, but if you figure a spring rate of 200 lb/in that would only change it 1/2" or less.\

Heres a picture of how it sits:
P3020002.jpg

7.5" RE coils, 19.25" loaded with winch and winchbumper :D

I have a winch and winch bumper and only get 18.5" from a 3 day old set.
This is crap! They sold me something besides the 7.5 coils that I ordered.
I am going to chew some *&%(^#%* monday morning.
My Jeep cant weigh this much more.
Thanks for everyones help.
Eric

I wouldnt really chew, just growl and grumble. I didnt get what I ordered and I still have the box that says 7.5 on it.
I hope they understand, I couldnt see the lack of extra height until I installed them in my Jeep.

Hit'um up for labor time that it took to install and uninstall their springs. A lot of part manufactures will reimburse shops for lost time due to their error. They may not do anything because you are not a "shop" (as far as I know) but its worth a shot.

They are giving me the silent treatment. I have sent 2 e-mails and called 2 times trying to contact the "returns girl tracy". No returned call and the guy I spoke with said that he feels like I got an acceptable amount of lift for 7.5 springs with a winch and bumper.
I went to all the trouble swapping out my 5.5 coils for 7.5 coils just to get 3/4" of lift. Since when does 2" of advertised lift equal 3/4" being acceptable.

This isnt quality customer service at all. They could at least call me back and explain why their springs wont hold a Cherokee at 7.5" of lift.
Does anyone on here have an inside contact at RE who can help me?

Did you see the other thread on the spring subject?

I still haven't gotten a straight answer on spring rate, but if it's 200, that would really be bad.

My 7.5" springs should be here tomorrow. I'll slap them in and report back, though the chassis is not really complete.

What is the coil wire diameter of the springs you received? What is the part number? It should be RE 1358.

CRASH

79yj said:
I have a winch and winch bumper and only get 18.5" from a 3 day old set.
This is crap! They sold me something besides the 7.5 coils that I ordered.
I am going to chew some *&%(^#%* monday morning.
My Jeep cant weigh this much more.
Thanks for everyones help.
Eric
Warn M8000 winch. Custom 4X4 winch bumper. RE 7.5" XJ/TJ coils. 18.5" loaded. You got the right ones. I also took off a set of 5.5" XJ coils. Definitely a difference between the two. HTH.
Dan.

I'm not sure that they don't give you close to 7.5 inches. I know that my ZJ 4.5's are giving me a bit more than 6 inches. I swapped out a 3" BDS spring and 2" spacer and gained 1.5-2.0 inches.

Just installed the 7.5" RE springs and got exactly the advertised amount lift. Have a beefy custom front bumper but no winch. Loaded they measure 19.5". Unloaded they were 1" taller than the ZJ spring. Guessing they will sag a bit but so far they are holding.

I guess my primary problem with this is the fact that RE will not return my calls and when I get anyone there they transfer me to a "voice mail" box where I leave my number and state my issue. No response via Email either.

I was spoiled by the 5.5 spring giving me 6" of lift, now the 7.5 gives me 6.75 instead of the 19+ inches I expected from them. If they would have given me any idea this could happen I wouldnt have wasted my time with this at all.
I can install a spacer to fix the problem but, hey this isnt right, I could have used a spacer with my old coils and got more lift for $30.00 than I got from $180.00 worth of junk coils.

Today when I finally got through to tracy and explained my problem she transfered me to the general managers voice mail.

I expect that I am wasting my time. I should install a spacer get over it and consider it a lesson learned. Never buy from RE again, no service, no warantee, no quality control.

it wasn't a waste of time or money. now you have coils rated for an XJ not a ZJ. i actually did the same thing as you, but overall, RE is an awesome company with awesome products. i just added a .75 spacer and it leveled everything out perfectly! i can empathize with you though, it sucks!

brandon

Back