• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

spline count

Renegade Jpr

NAXJA Forum User
I need a soild answer, I did a search and everything say's "Well I THINK its a 23 spline" ect...

What year did XJ's start comming out with 23 spline NP231 T-case mated to an AW4 automatic?

I searched around and found that 1992 was the turning point, however I dident find an answer to wether or not 1992 XJ's have a 23 spline NP231 with an AW4 automatic.

So, whats the t-case spline count on a 1992 4.0L with an AW4 trans, and NP231 T-case?

hello....

I don't have a solid answer for you, but if it's like most Jeep changes, it won't be cutoff exactly at model year...the 97 body change and the 87 4.0L are two exceptions, but for the most part the change occurred during production. AX-15 was introduced in mid-89; "newer, better (more prone to vibes) t-case output came out in mid/early 96, etc. I have heard probably the same sources as you've found, and "sometime in MY92" sounds about right. I'll be interested to hear the result of this however.

Yea, this is my delima:

I have an '89 XJ with the following: 4.0L,AW4,NP231.

I bought an NP231 with a TeraLow 4:1 in it out of a 1993 YJ with the following: 4.0L, AX-15,NP231.

Im 95% sure that my XJ is a 21 spline, and 110% sure that the YJ's T-case is a 23 spline.

However I have an AW4 trans with only 75k on it that came from a 92' XJ.

The plan is to put the 92's trans and the 1993 YJ TeraLow NP231 in my 89' XJ, this is ONLY if the AW4 trans from the 1992 XJ is a 23 spline...so I must find out if it is.

Well, here's what I know, FWIW. You should be OK with what you want to do, but you'll have to check on the input shaft length.

Early AW4's had 21 spline outputs, and Peugoet tranny's had 21 splines, and AX-5's in 4cyl had 21 splines. The AX-15 has 23 splines, and the AW4 went to 23 spline in '91 with the HO motor (from what I've been told....).

There is a slight difference in input shaft length between the AW4 23 spline and the AX-15 23 spline, which is what you'll have to check out.

Thanks Goatman, thats what I needed to know. I also thought that they went to 23 splines with the HO motor's but wanted a second opinion before I take everything appart.

As for the input shaft length I got a spacer/seal from Tera mfg. for $20 that should fix that problem.

Back