• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Special Tools for Lift Install?

XJ91

NAXJA Forum User
Do I need anything that would not be in a standard toolbox to assist me in a lift (RE6130) install?
All I've got's is hand tools, no pnumatic (sp?)

Somewhere I read I might need a pickle fork?

Socket set various sizes and legnths
breaker bar
lubricants
jack stands
lift jack
wood blocks (not enough jack stands)
BFH
Mid size Hammer

Am I missing anything else?

spring compressor's are nice but not needed.. you should be fine but be verry careful :)

drill and tap for broken shock bolts

pry bar to align the springs to the shackles.

might need torx wrenches

might need a pickle fork to remove track bar.

torch to heat up frozen shackle and control arm bolts.

The coil springs slide in very easily when the control arms are disconnected. One thing that isn't mentioned in most lift installs (and might not even be in mine) is to disconnect the swaybar just to get it out of the way. Once you've got that done and the trackbar removed, the axle can be moved around as needed to pop the springs in. No compressor needed on those, just make sure your initial setup is tall enough to allow the axle to drop far enough...
http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/45lift.html

GSequoia said:
Torque wrench!

Aside from that you'ree good, yyou can get the coils out easily without compressing them, you'll just have to disconnect the track bar.

Torque, yes I forgot to put that on my list. Have both Inch & Foot lbs.

89xj said:
drill and tap for broken shock bolts

pry bar to align the springs to the shackles.

might need torx wrenches

might need a pickle fork to remove track bar.

torch to heat up frozen shackle and control arm bolts.
There's that pickle fork????Since I am getting the HD Track Bar, guess I need one of these.
Drill I have Tap's I do not. :thumbup:
Got a good set of Torx

Yucca-Man said:
http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/45lift.html

Hope ya don't mind but I've printed out your 4.5" install page. :worship:
Don't like to get grease on the keyboard while wrenching. :D

Keep em coming.....

That's what it's there for; I only ask that you remind me what little bits I forgot to mention in the writeup. We got the trackbar off without a pickle fork, but for the life of me I don't remember how. Probably wedged a breaker bar behind it, put some tension on the bar and whanged it with the obligatory BFH, I guess...

I don't recall having to use Torx wrenches for any of it, thankfully.

You ARE using PB Blaster in advance of lifting, right?

saftey glasses and a good pair of gloves. Did a lift, an an oil pan replacement without them for the most part.

Hindsight says "pretty F 'n stupid!!" Trust me, you'll be glad you did!!

:party:

I'd recommend tie rod pullers and pitman pullers, that kind of stuff over a pickle fork... My pitman/draglink was connected so tight there was no way in hell I could do it w/o a puller... A puller is also helpful to get the pressed lower swaybar bracket bolts out... if you use the puller on them they come right out. PB Blast everything. Coil compressors help if you can get your hands on them in any way. I would recommed renting compressors and a "front end kit" from your local autoparts store. It's only like $6 a day at Kragan, and well worth it.

Colin

Yucca-Man said:
That's what it's there for; I only ask that you remind me what little bits I forgot to mention in the writeup. We got the trackbar off without a pickle fork, but for the life of me I don't remember how. Probably wedged a breaker bar behind it, put some tension on the bar and whanged it with the obligatory BFH, I guess...

I don't recall having to use Torx wrenches for any of it, thankfully.

You ARE using PB Blaster in advance of lifting, right?

If your write-up needs updating I'll be using the digi from work :D PB Blaster is one thing I don't have. :cry: Not Sold In Canada :doh: W-D40, Mechanics Choice products, engine oil dabbed on with a brush and a Torch. If that don't work I'll be renting a welder and replacing a lot of bolts.

Good thing is even though it's my daily I can set it on blocks for weeks cuz work is only a 40 minute walk from home.

When I did my lift, it was the biggest thing that I had done other than replace a head light. Just use common sence(sp). I had a shop do my pitman and have the front alined. Have a big breaker bar with a BFH, and the bolts should come right off, or snap off. If I remember, we didn't use any specialty tools.

Back