• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Not so simple Locker/Gear question.

Lucas

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, perhaps this isn't technically complex, but maybe im just making it difficult.

I just bought a set of dana 44s, the front is out of a J-truck with new (0 miles) spicer 4:56 gears, new bearings/seals, Warn lockouts, and a brand new full case detroit. The rear is a disk braked D44 from a rodeo, no locker 4:20 gears. Both are 6 lug axles.

I can't afford another detroit, so it looks like lockrite time for one of the axles. Which one? I currently have a lockrite in my 8.25 and think its great on the road. Should I use the lunchbox in the rear and call it good, or should I move the Detroit to the rear for strength's sake (noise means nothing to me)?
If I do decide to move the Detroit to the rear, Is it possible for me to just buy another Spicer 4:56 gearset, pull the detroit from the front, and stick in an open carrier and set backlash, or will I have to reset the pinion depth/preload? The front gears were professionally set by Tennessee Offroad.
I was also thinking about selling the detroit to finance dual aussies/lockrites. What would you do in my position?
TIA.

I agree w/max; Detroit in the rear.
PM xjnation about the Zuzu carrier and gears. He runs a rear Zuzu 44 in his MJ build-up.

Lucas,
Will you please empty your PM box. I've been trying to get ahold of you for over a week now so we can complete our transaction. You know, the part where you send out the product I paid for.

Lucas said:
Ok, perhaps this isn't technically complex, but maybe im just making it difficult.

I just bought a set of dana 44s, the front is out of a J-truck with new (0 miles) spicer 4:56 gears, new bearings/seals, Warn lockouts, and a brand new full case detroit. The rear is a disk braked D44 from a rodeo, no locker 4:20 gears. Both are 6 lug axles.

I can't afford another detroit, so it looks like lockrite time for one of the axles. Which one? I currently have a lockrite in my 8.25 and think its great on the road. Should I use the lunchbox in the rear and call it good, or should I move the Detroit to the rear for strength's sake (noise means nothing to me)?
If I do decide to move the Detroit to the rear, Is it possible for me to just buy another Spicer 4:56 gearset, pull the detroit from the front, and stick in an open carrier and set backlash, or will I have to reset the pinion depth/preload? The front gears were professionally set by Tennessee Offroad.
I was also thinking about selling the detroit to finance dual aussies/lockrites. What would you do in my position?
TIA.

Holy crap, Im sorry. I just look up at the little box where it says 0 new messages and waited for a reply. I didn't know my box was full.

Back