• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Home made Tcase drop

GoalPoster

NAXJA Forum User
I'm creating my own little gem here . . . I can get my hands on some square tubing . . . 1.5 inch, and the bolts through work.

Here's the question . . . is a 1.5 inch tcase drop too much with a 3.5 inch lift that nets over 4?

seems too low to me. i would think it would too much stress on the engine mounts.

have you tried shims?

what year is the jeep?

1998 Cherokee Sport.

I don't have bad vibes, just slightly on 'takeoff' and when I let up on the gas. I can cruise at 60 mph without any problems.

Did the alignment, tires balanced and the whole schmozzle already, so I'm figuring that I might as well drop the case and be done with it rather than grab an SYE and shaft for such a minor thing.

Any suggestions . . . I was going to use washers as spacers and gradually drop it down, but the tubing is lying around the shop here and I thought it would be easier.

i would try shimming the rear springs first. sounds like your rear pinion angle is too low and you have a small amount of axle wrap causing the pinion angle to change.

I don't have anything to measure the angles . . . how would I know what degree shims to use . . .

In talking with some of the other jeep owners, it seems that four degree shims are what they're using.

an angle finder is around 10$ at sears.

since you dont have a sye, the pinion and t-case output shaft should be parallel. 4 degree shim should work and that is what im using.

tom woods web page has an illustration of the correct angles.

1.5" drop is pretty low, I used a piece of 1x2x3/36 tubing. It worked great, you also need to consider getting an extended SY. The yoke is is longer and the unjoint has a greater working angle. I have been told that you can also grind down you stock one, but I haven't tried it.

You can try the 1.5" it may work, but you'll loose that much ground clearance.

Every degree that you reduce the rear drive shaft by droping the t-case, you increase the angle of the front drive shaft.

I'm getting the feeling that I should just raid my wife's clothing fund and buy the sye and shaft and be done with it!!!!!

I took out my homebrew 1" transfer case drop after i discovered two things: 1) i scraped over rocks i had previously cleared easily, and this annoyed me, and 2) it did not rid me of my vibrations, it simply reduced them. I know its more money, but I just did the hack n' tap SYE and i'm really happy with it. My advice (for what its worth) is live with the vibes for now and save your money.... Also, are you sure the vibes are coming from your rear driveshaft?
Buck.

Back