• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need some ideas

SirFrack

NAXJA Forum User
i just replaced my radiator because it was leaking transmission fluid into the cooling system. i think i did a pretty good of changing the transmission fluid because its not pink anymore. (the trans fluid looked like a strawberry milkshake and the cooling system was almost the same)

now the part im stuck on is how to completely get rid of the trans fluid from the cooling system. the inside of the radiator hoses and the old radiator were oily from the trans fluid...so im assuming the inside of the block is the same. i ran fresh water through the cooling system twice but still have oil in the system....any ideas on how to get the rest out?

will the bottles of prestone (i think) flush work?

TIA

SirFrack said:
i just replaced my radiator because it was leaking transmission fluid into the cooling system.

TIA

What year is your XJ? This same thing happend to a friend and his TJ. I think I have heard of other instances of this happening to newer jeeps with the auto. Could there be a defect?

You might try some liquid dish detergent.Joy,Palmolive ect. Try a cap full and do the run+flush several times.
HTH
Wayne

Buy the Prestone flushing kit and install the flushing tee in your heater hose. Drain the cooling system by removing the plug on the block and opening the drain on the radiator. Mix up a solution of hot water and Spic and Span and pour into the cooling system. Run for several minutes then start flushing with garden hose attached to flushing tee. Continue flushing until oonly clean water is coming out. Drain system, refill with fresh anti-freeze and water. Should be OK.

Back