• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

throttle cable return spring replacement?'s

onetallmj

NAXJA Forum User
88 Comanche 4.0L auto
Trying to figure this out - the cable is attached to the gas pedal, goes through the firewall then to a hard plastic fitting that has a spring inside, then to a pivot bar and back up to the throttle plate.

that hard plastic fitting is busted on mine and it wont let the plate return to idle closed. Anyone every replaced this? or is it just replacing the whole cable assembly? If so how?

thanks

Wade

I think you may have the wrong throttle cable?!?

can you get a picture of the spring you're talking about?

the only spring I've ever seen on a renix 4.0L is wound around the shaft going through the throttle body itself!

i believe i know of the spring you speak of....
that plastic fitting is currently broken on mine and temporarily "rigged" with tie wire to kinda hold it all together....
i just did that as a safety precaution, even without that the throttle still returned fine....

but, to answer your question, i do believe the only way to fix it is to just buy a new throttle cable....they aren't hard to replace at all...and i don't think they cost that much...

yea just checked with the dealer, the cable going from the pedal to the pivot bar is $25.00 but 3 days away.

As a side note, when that plastic cover over the spring is broken, it doesn't let the cable return all the way and causes a high idle!!

Wade

CheapXJ said:
I think you may have the wrong throttle cable?!?

can you get a picture of the spring you're talking about?

the only spring I've ever seen on a renix 4.0L is wound around the shaft going through the throttle body itself!

if you follow the cable from the firewall to the pivot bar on the intake/exhaust header there is a black large plastic fitting that has a spring inside it.

I had the same problem this winter on my 90 MJ. The plastic broke and caused the cable to rust and snap at the pivot point in the engine compartment. Your best bet is just to replace the whole unit. Mine was like $40 for the dealership so you got a deal!

It only takes like five minutes and the hardest part is getting the cable on and off of the throttle linkage. Make sure to grease the clip that attaches to the throttle linkage. It should be a ball that clips into the part they are sending you.

Back