PDA

View Full Version : 8.25 Open or Trac-Loc

roke40
April 15th, 2004, 04:31
I was looking into ordering a Powertrax No-Slip and saw two different models for the 29 spline. They've got one for the open diff and one for trac-loc. Is there any identification on the outside of the diff or a data plate under the hood to let me know which one I have. I bought it used so I don't have the original paperwork. It's a 98.

Urban Redneck
April 15th, 2004, 05:28
I was looking into ordering a Powertrax No-Slip and saw two different models for the 29 spline. They've got one for the open diff and one for trac-loc. Is there any identification on the outside of the diff or a data plate under the hood to let me know which one I have. I bought it used so I don't have the original paperwork. It's a 98.

You can go to the stealership and ask them to print you out a build sheet. All you need is your VIN. The parts department is where they will do this for you.

Ronbo
April 15th, 2004, 06:02
My 98 had a purple tag around the axle tube near the passenger side drum with all the info.

roke40
April 15th, 2004, 06:37
Thanks guys. I'll check for the tag on the axle tube first and if that's not there I'll head down to the dealer.

Nightside21
April 19th, 2004, 15:01
Check in the glove box. Sometimes they have a warning about the limited slip if it is installed. That's where I found mine in my '98.

Capt. Nemo
April 19th, 2004, 15:12
Easy way to know for sure is to jack up the vehicle with both rear tires off the ground (e-brake off) and rotate the tires. If they both spin the same direction you've got the trac-lok. If they spin in opposite directions it's open. You'll find out quicker this way than in trying to get something from the dealership...