PDA

View Full Version : dana 30 lockright install

Prepmech
April 14th, 2004, 19:30
I just ordered a lockright for my dana 30. I've got 3.55 gears. Will I have to remove my ring gear or grind on it go get my cross shaft out?

Ghost
April 14th, 2004, 19:42
IMSMC, yes one or the other! I just did mine with 4.10's and was very scared! Drove her the other day on a 20 mile round trip. Everything was A-OK! Except for the vibration that ended up being the rear u-joint working loose!

BrettM
April 14th, 2004, 20:00
i got a D30 from Gary E on the board here that had the stock 3.55s and he had to grind the ring gear just a bit to put his lockright in. so i don't have any first hand experience, but i feel pretty confident in Gary, so i'll say the answer is "yes, you will need to grind or remove the ring gear"

ChuckD
April 14th, 2004, 20:06
Talking about you grinding the ring gear, mad maxJ

http://home.comcast.net/~cdutke/grind/photos/DSCF0021.JPG

http://home.comcast.net/~cdutke/grind/index.html

I was wondering why one axle was really easy to get out. :D

BrettM
April 14th, 2004, 20:07
it was all Gary

Fergie
April 14th, 2004, 20:32
Why do you need to grind the ring gear? I was under the impression it fit in without any modification.

Fergie

ECKSJAY
April 14th, 2004, 20:48
Why do you need to grind the ring gear? I was under the impression it fit in without any modification.

Fergie

Isn't going to happen if you can't get that cross shaft out. ;)

Fergie
April 14th, 2004, 21:10
yeah, I understand the part about the cross shaft, but why would you need to grind?

I guess my thinking is that I just had my front regeared, and dont want to grind on it. Why is the x-shaft the problem?

Thanks

Rawbrown
April 14th, 2004, 22:03
when you go to install it you will find that when you remove the crosspin, it will hit the ring gear on one or two of the teeth. right at the crown/toe. you will need to remove a small amount of material to clear the crosspin, allowing it to slide out all the way. since you gotta pull the shafts anyways, your not to far from just pulling the carrier out and removing the ring gear. this will let you do the work on a benchtop instead of upside down under your jeep. much more comfortalbe and less agrivatiing...

MuddinXJ
April 15th, 2004, 07:00
my lockrights fit really well with my 4.10s. a friend of mine did it while i was out of town. it was a b-day present for me.