• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Exaust got banged

BPB

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1990 cherokee leredo 4 door w/4.0. I hit my muffler on a rock, it shoved the entire exause system back, the hanger's are still in tack, but the hanger infront of the cat was yanked out of the slot it goes in, can i just smack it with a hammer????

thanks, ben

The crossover pipe is connected to the exhaust manifold, if it isn´t already cracked, banging it around, sure isn´t gonna help. The exhaust manifold is expensive and repairs seldom last. A serous inspection is in order.
If it exhaust manifold nots cracked and you just gotta move the cross over pipe, a torch is probably th e only way your gonna get everything aligned again, without stressing things up.

nothing seems to have cracked, the exaust isn't noticeably louder, nor did I feel any exaust leeks under my jeep. The problem with the torch ideah, is that I don't have one, and that means money, which I don't have. are there any other answers?? how much would an exaust shop charge?

You have to have somwhere to host it, once you do that just copy the URL to the picture itself (open the picture from your webhost, rich click on it, then copy the address to your clipboard). Once you do that come back here, type
with no spaces between anything.

Alternatively you can e-mail it to me at [email protected]

well the pictures arn't working, but, I tried forcing it back in to place with a huge c-clamp, but it started making creaking noises so i stoped.

bigpimpinben said:
well the pictures arn't working, but, I tried forcing it back in to place with a huge c-clamp, but it started making creaking noises so i stoped.
Go ahead and e-mail me the picture and I'll post it up for you. [email protected]

Walker Exhaust has a new "down pipe" with the flange and all for about $30- $40. I got one from my local parts store. Check the Walker web site first so you have the right part number then go to you parts house and see if they can get it. Oh yeah you might as well get the new flange gasket too.

Good Luck

I got a guy who is getting me the down pipe for 20 bucks, arn't there going to be 2 gaskets to replace? do I need to use rtv, or what ever that gasket goop is?

Back