• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake Lines - Metric or SAE?

GSequoia

Everyone says I'm a jerk.
NAXJA Member
If I remember right the master cylinder on the old '89 brakes uses metric brake lines, right?

What about the newer style master (say, 1995), do I remember reading that they switched to SAE? I'll be doing a MC & Booster swap sometime soon and wanted to know if I need to graft the '89 MC on the '95 Booster.

Thanks,
Sequoia

I think you have it backwards, 94 and earlier are SAE, 95+ are metric. At least, that's what I remember from doing my 95 booster swap into my 94 2 years ago.

In any event, I picked up adapters, flare nuts and bent my own lines as well.

I'm not too sure if you can put the 89 MC on the 95 Booster. (if I read your post right)

When I did the swap, I went with a new 96 booster AND master cylinder, bought the adapters, and bent my own lines.

try www.madxj.com if you havent already

I just replaced my booster and m/c on my '96. Brake lines are metric. Both booster and M/C cost about $100 each at Napa auto parts. If you buy an aftermarket booster, you may need to leave the aluminum spacer between the firewall and booster out, otherwise the shaft that connects to the brake pedal might be about a 1/4" too short and your brake lights will stay on. Test it out first, so you don't have to dismantle the whole assembly like I did to remove the spacer after everything was installed. LOL.

GI-John said:
I'm not too sure if you can put the 89 MC on the 95 Booster. (if I read your post right)

When I did the swap, I went with a new 96 booster AND master cylinder, bought the adapters, and bent my own lines.

try www.madxj.com if you havent already

You CANNOT use the older style (GM-type) master cylinder on the newer dual diaphram brake boosters. The angles on the booster are such that the master cyl. would hit the inside of the hood when closed.

If you are doing the late model booster upgrade, use the late model master cyl., and then bend/form custom lines between the late model M/C and the older type proportioning valve.

The lines will be custom in that they will have ISO "bubble" metric threaded flare fittings on the MC end, and plain old SAE double cone flares on the proportioning valve end

Back