• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bakes and stuff

StuckXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Were would be the cheapest place to buy brake parts; Pads, hardware kit, rotors, drums, and shoes. My 92 xj needs brakes and I'd rather do it to save about $100 on labor. A friend of mine told me i could get it at auto zone for about $100. At qtech I think it would cost close to $200. Is it worth the extra $15-30 bucks for titanium pads? There are a bunch of car parts stores around napa, autozone, a performance car and truck store, and allied auto parts... those are just the ones i know off the top of my head. So my question is basiclly were is the chea..."most affordable" place to buy my brakes.
I have a leaky valve cover gasket too, were can I get that... any of the stores above or an online place?
-Steve D

My expereince is that you will have to call or look on line for best prices. It is dependent on which rotors and pads you want.

You might try ebay. I was there yesterday and saw some good prices.

Just did this on my 93, front rotor and pads was $130, I went with the more expensive rotor, autozone had a $15(yea?) and a $45 rotor, I bought the more expensive ones. I think the rear pads were 25, plus a core, bought those a few days later, but it was cheap for the drum brakes....

I'd go with cheap drum brake stuff from NAPA or the like, just shop for price, but not with the cheapest Chinese rotors. I put a set of NAPA's cheapos on my 87 and they warped on the first panic stop. Make sure you get all new springs and adjuster cables, etc. for the rears. They're cheap and you'll be sorry if you don't. Also, when doing the fronts, look very closely at the caliper hoses. Not cheap, but neither is hospitalization.

In my area, either NAPA or Auto Value (Parts master) are the best deals usually, but there is no Auto Zone close by to compare with.

napa is usualy resonable, you can get your gasket at any auto parts store, I personaly prefer home town auto part stores because the service is so much better. just a little fyi, I just did the valve cover gaskett, the people at the stoor will tell you that you don't need that gasket sealer stuff, but you do, to hold the gasket on the valve coverwhile you put on the cover, make sure to let the sealer dry for about 10 minits.

-Ben

Thanks it looks like i'll be heading to napa... there is 2 nearby so I will call and see what store has what I need. I'll be doing the brakes this weekend then next the gasket and new belt... I've heard it can be a reall pain in the butt and worth bringing to a mechanic. My friend said its easy but I've never done one. Well thanks for all the help
-Steve D

Back