• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

new exhaust & smoke

copperhead

NAXJA Member #984
Hi all,

I just finished installing a new stock exhaust system from the manifold back (including a new catalytic converter). I am getting a lot of white smoke, is this normal? Do I need to run it up to full operating temp? It has been raining here for the past day and I had to wait for a new mount, so moisture may be an issue.

Thanks

Copperhead- New Hampshire, USA

Just out of curiosity, have you smelled the "smoke"???

I assume when you say "from the manifold back" that you didn't replace the exhaust manifold???

It could be that you had some moisture build-up in there with the rain and what-not but that should take care of itself relatively quickly.

If you take a whiff of the smoke and smell oil, that could be trouble... You may want to just take it for a good ride and see if it burns itself out.

duskerhu

thanks duskerhu,

I think that is what it was. Everything with the exhaust seems to be going all right now. No smell, and a bit less than the smell it had before. A lot of water came out of the system for the first 10 minutes. I am still new to working on cars and am always a bit cautious.

The stock exhaust is great, nice and quiet! the previous system had a 10" long 1 3/4" ID patch tube running into a resonator (no cat).

Now I just need to address some rotten hard lines (hydraulic clutch I think) I noticed while under the car.

Copperhead

Back