• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

people with a stereo system, help

MCD

NAXJA Forum User
i want to run a power wire to the rear of my 90 xj so i can use a reciver mounted winch. were in the fire wall can i runn it. i you have a system were was your power run?

i dont want to run them out side cus i dont want to run the risk if them being damaged or getting weathered and cracked i will be moving to wyoming and its cold all but 2 months of the year.

Run it from the battery along the back of the engine compartment and throught the rubber groument for the steering wheel. Along the trim on the driverside below carpet and then up through the backseat.

If you use quality wire you can just use run them with the brake and fuel lines lines to the rear. the area is plenty safe, that is why the those lines are there. I'v never had any cracked or weathered wires under the hood. Hear in vegas they see extreem heat. If your worried about water I can tell you that I wash under the hood on a regular basis sometimes using chemicals and the wires are fine.

Of couse if you live where they use chemicals on the roads you might have a problem but I wouldn't know. BTW fill out your profile.

Last edited:
cold weather is really different. water can get on the wires and soke in the wire skin and then freeze. i have seen it happen on welder rigs. they have the huge cable and every so often then have to replace them or tape them. i dont want to have to worry about them and if they are comparamised the size of wire i use will surely ruin my bat and possbly my alt.

Run a heavy power lead down the right side door sill - the main long body harness runs down the left, and there shouldn't be anything along the right. You can tuck it under the sillplates and keep it covered nicely...

Probably best to penetrate the firewall along the right-hand side for that, use a "pass-thru" block like you can get from MSD for safety.

If you are going to add a deep cycle battery, putting it in the rear may not be a bad idea - it will give you a "power reservoir" at both ends when you're done, and will help with winching.

5-90

i was planning on an extra bat in the back and i want to tun it on the inside so i can just open the hatch and hook it up till i can find a better way to plug it in maybe a plug so i can just plug and winch or just take it off intirly. me and a friend want to go half on a big winch and make it so we can change it between the two rigs. we wheel alot to gether

I run mine from the battery and down through the firewall under the glovebox and around under the trim by the door, it was kinda hard to bend the 4 gauge wire but it worked out ok

I put a remote fuse box in the back, so I can answer this :)

I pulled a 2 ga wire back to the rear of the cargo area. I drilled the hole in the firewall on the LH side, about 1" from the edge of the vehicle, and about 1" fromw here the fold in the firewall is (I drilled it where the firewall is straight verticle, 1" below where it bends and angles backward). It was a bit of a pain to fish that heavy cable through (2 doesn't bend easily!), but I got it though and ran it under the sill plate (the plastic trim on the bottom of the doors), knocked a hole in the ledge around the back seat (if you notice there is a little wall by your back seat, this is what I refer to), ran it though there, then back into the trim.

You could run it that way, take it down your quater panel, and bring it though there. Remember to use grommets everywhere the cable passes though metal! Also, get yourself a circuit breaker for that cable, I'm not sure what you're going to want to use for a winch, I have a 75 amp one for my fuse box, they have nice little units for the stereo crowd at just about any electronics store.

Circuit Breaker and where the cable goes through the firewall
circuit.jpg

Sequoia

Last edited:
GSequoia said:
I put a remote fuse box in the back, so I can answer this :)

I pulled a 2 ga wire back to the rear of the cargo area. I drilled the hole in the firewall on the LH side, about 1" from the edge of the vehicle, and about 1" fromw here the fold in the firewall is (I drilled it where the firewall is straight verticle, 1" below where it bends and angles backward). It was a bit of a pain to fish that heavy cable through (2 doesn't bend easily!), but I got it though and ran it under the sill plate (the plastic trim on the bottom of the doors), knocked a hole in the ledge around the back seat (if you notice there is a little wall by your back seat, this is what I refer to), ran it though there, then back into the trim.

You could run it that way, take it down your quater panel, and bring it though there. Remember to use grommets everywhere the cable passes though metal! Also, get yourself a circuit breaker for that cable, I'm not sure what you're going to want to use for a winch, I have a 75 amp one for my fuse box, they have nice little units for the stereo crowd at just about any electronics store.Sequoia

Am I understanding this right, and you only have a 75 amp fuse on the line to your winch? If so, you'll be popping it all the time. I went through a few 100s before I emailed warn and found out the x8000i has a max draw of 435 amps...so i put in one 500 amp fuse on each of my yellow tops, and that works well.

jeo said:
Am I understanding this right, and you only have a 75 amp fuse on the line to your winch? If so, you'll be popping it all the time. I went through a few 100s before I emailed warn and found out the x8000i has a max draw of 435 amps...so i put in one 500 amp fuse on each of my yellow tops, and that works well.
No winch, that's just for a fuse box that I have mounted in the back. :)

fusebox.jpg

Back