• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Turd Polishing

CRASH

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Princess I will assume her final resting place this weekend *moment of silence*, and all driveline components are going to be pulled, R&R'ed and then re-installed into Princess II.

One turd is already being re-polished, as a new trussed and reinforced 8.8 housing will be finished soon.

Second turd that that needs polishing is the trusty old 231 case. In short, it has served 9 years in the most extreme conditions you can find with never a false step, and the last five years it has been tortured by the 6.31 to 1 first gear of an NV4500. Valiant service indeed.

It has come time to re-build the unit, but since it will now be living behind a 300 ft-lb stroker, I'm thinking it might be time for some simple upgrades. I already have a 32 spline output, so I was thinking of taking the internals of a 231 C (Chevrolet) case and using some of them in my 231J. What parts out of the Chevy case do I want? I assume the chain is wider, and I bellieve the planetary gear set has 5 pinions rather than 3? So basically, I would want everything out of the Chevy case except the mainshaft? Do I need the case as well, or will the annulus gear that is pressed into the Chevy case press right into my case?

Give me the lowdown so I can hunt down a donor and get to work, wheeling season is fast approaching!

CRASH

CRASH said:
Princess I will assume her final resting place this weekend *moment of silence*, and all driveline components are going to be pulled, R&R'ed and then re-installed into Princess II.

One turd is already being re-polished, as a new trussed and reinforced 8.8 housing will be finished soon.

Second turd that that needs polishing is the trusty old 231 case. In short, it has served 9 years in the most extreme conditions you can find with never a false step, and the last five years it has been tortured by the 6.31 to 1 first gear of an NV4500. Valiant service indeed.

It has come time to re-build the unit, but since it will now be living behind a 300 ft-lb stroker, I'm thinking it might be time for some simple upgrades. I already have a 32 spline output, so I was thinking of taking the internals of a 231 C (Chevrolet) case and using some of them in my 231J. What parts out of the Chevy case do I want? I assume the chain is wider, and I bellieve the planetary gear set has 5 pinions rather than 3? So basically, I would want everything out of the Chevy case except the mainshaft? Do I need the case as well, or will the annulus gear that is pressed into the Chevy case press right into my case?

Give me the lowdown so I can hunt down a donor and get to work, wheeling season is fast approaching!

CRASH

This what you looking for???? http://www.madxj.com/ He has an article on using the Chevy internal to beef up the Jeep TC.

Good referance, thanks.

So, the 231C case DOES NOT have a 5 or 6 pinion planetary? Hmmmm, finding a 241 at a U-Pull-It type place may not be easy. What's a good source for 241 cases? Fullsize Chevies? 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton, 1 ton?

CRASH

CRASH said:
Good referance, thanks.

So, the 231C case DOES NOT have a 5 or 6 pinion planetary? Hmmmm, finding a 241 at a U-Pull-It type place may not be easy. What's a good source for 241 cases? Fullsize Chevies? 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton, 1 ton?

CRASH
Hey CRASH

All Chevy 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton (up to 8800lb GVW) had the 241 from 88 to about 96,7,8ish. Stop looking at 95 and I know you're good.

NV lists this Tcase as having a phenomenal 5555 ft*lb input rating. That's almost exactly 3 times the 231.
I've done a fair amount of research on this case and plan to use it on the C-ROKet behind a twin-turbo'd LS1. It has the same 2.72:1 LR as the 231.
They mostly came behind the 4L60E (700R) but there are some behind manuals out there and maybe even the NV4500. I don't know what manuals Chevy used through those years. You could be looking at some kind of an adapter.

Following them on E-bay for a couple months they mostly go for about $125-$150. If you've got a good local JYard network though, you can likely get them even cheaper. Even the "they pull it" yards here in Phoenix were willing to go down to $130.

I belive that Dodge full size trucks also use the 241 case.

Just a random thought here: if you have wheeled the old case for 9 years I would look at getting a "fresher" housing as well. Fatigue and all that. It would suck to rebuil the turd just to have the turd's housing crack/break.

- Charter member #1 of the advanced turd polishing society

Why do you want a hugh 241 in your junk?

Build a 231 to be almost as stong without the size.

6 gear planatary, HD chain, HD sye = really close to a 241 strength without the size.

hinkley

For the second time this morning, you are an ass.

Did you read this thread? At all?

Go back and re-read please.

CRASH

CRASH said:
For the second time this morning, you are an ass.

Did you read this thread? At all?

Go back and re-read please.

CRASH

Dude, get out of the kitchen it is starting to mess with your brain.

It's not all for you, others were talking 241 also, biatch!

hinkley

Kitchen is done, biatch.

Driveline is going into the new rig this weekend, so quit your bitching.

CRASH

CRASH said:
Kitchen is done, biatch.

Driveline is going into the new rig this weekend, so quit your bitching.

CRASH

No it is not, it is coming out of the old rig this weekend and you are then having a tea party, that's why yoiu're kicking out your slave on saturday!

:D

hinkley

Anyhow if you're going to polish that turd of a 231 why don't you put in a superturdy!

Haven't you learned from you buddy from SF, go atlas or stay in the kitchen.

hinkley

Mark Hinkley said:
Anyhow if you're going to polish that turd of a 231 why don't you put in a superturdy!

Haven't you learned from you buddy from SF, go atlas or stay in the kitchen.

hinkley

If the kitchen hadn't cost 1 million dollars to remodel, I'd have put in an Atlas.

Besides, the stroker will cure all!

CRASH

btw, you're still an ass.

Speaking of super 30, when are you gonna get a real axle up front?

CRASH

CRASH said:
Speaking of super 30, when are you gonna get a real axle up front?

CRASH

As soon as you go out wheeling again.

I'll never be in your presents ever again with a superturdy, I won't want you to be so disapointed in me ever again.

hinkley

Back