• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jerky Steering When Turning

Drewman

NAXJA Forum User
Just last week I had something new start happening in my steering while turning.

When you have the wheels cranked one way or the other while rolling through a turn the steering jerks toward center as the wheels revolve, about one time per revolution, then when you let the wheel slide through your hands as you let it center itself it jerks back and forth as it makes it way to center istead of smoothly gliding back to center. The closest thing I could compare it too is when your in 4 wheel drive and you make a sharp turn on a surface with a lot of grip, and you feel the wheel jerking back to center, but not nearly with as much force.

I regeased the front end and its still there. My next guess was that the U joints could be going bad and needed replaced.

Let me know what you all think.

something similar happened on a vehicle i used to own. i checked everything and it turned out to be leaky steering fluid. when it would get low it would get that jerky feeling, i would fill it up and it would be good again. i finally fixed it, but before i would have to add fluid about once a month. hth.

Back