• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

help...front brake chatter/rattle

gehrke

NAXJA Forum User
2001 xj. no abs.
I just had my rotors turned to remove slight warpage that was causing the jeep to shake while braking, and i replaced the pads also while i had everything apart. Now sometimes when i let off the brakes I can feel and hear a rattle, like the pads are grabbing slightly. I think it is only the drivers side that is doing it, and it stops when i apply the brakes. any ideas what it might be? any suggestions would be helpful...
thanks

gehrke said:
2001 xj. no abs.
I just had my rotors turned to remove slight warpage that was causing the jeep to shake while braking, and i replaced the pads also while i had everything apart. Now sometimes when i let off the brakes I can feel and hear a rattle, like the pads are grabbing slightly. I think it is only the drivers side that is doing it, and it stops when i apply the brakes. any ideas what it might be? any suggestions would be helpful...
thanks

did you grease up the caliper pins?

one may be hanging up a little

Yes i greased the pins...twice. I thought that might be the problem so i pulled them and greased them again, but it still does it.

I have heard the dust shields behind the rotors can rattle a bit......worth a shot to check it out I guess

Mine just started doing something similar on my last weekend off-road. I was curious, what does it do when you use the brakes in reverse? Mine makes a little chatter then stops when I press the brakes further. As if it drags a bit making noise and then it maxes out in that direction and stops. My autotech buddy suggested that one of the clips holding a pad may have broken. Nothing appears to be loose. I am going to tear it down today I will try to let you know what I find.

Alan

The brake pads are the noisyest part of my truck. They chatter and rattle and make all sorts of noise. Hitting the brakes lightly stops all the noise Their $20 pads and have lasted a long time. I'll put up with the chatter.
Walt

staticrevolution said:
Mine just started doing something similar on my last weekend off-road. I was curious, what does it do when you use the brakes in reverse? Mine makes a little chatter then stops when I press the brakes further. As if it drags a bit making noise and then it maxes out in that direction and stops. My autotech buddy suggested that one of the clips holding a pad may have broken. Nothing appears to be loose. I am going to tear it down today I will try to let you know what I find.

Alan
this is exactly what happened to me and it was indeed the clip holding the pad in place. it wasn't broken, just bent.

i'm still having problems with this. I checked the clips and they seem fine. It looks like the outboard pad is wearing at an angle, meaning that the bottom is wearing faster than the top. the rotor also looks like it is only being contacted nearer to the center. It seems to happen after driving for a while, and not on short drives. When i had my rotors turned the problematic rotor was really low nearer to the center also. Any help would be much appreciated. :mad:

On a 2000 I wouldn,t think this would have had time to happen,BUT-look at the mounting points where the pads sit on the caliper bracket.Over time a notch can wear here and restrict the movement of the pads.Clean up the mounting points ,smooth or fill the notch with weld and use a little anti-sieze on the mount.
Pads wearing at an angle could point to a siezed pin.
Wayne

Permatex makes an anti-squeal/chatter product that is a brake-cleaner soluable adhesive applied to the back of the brake pads. I have used this with good success in the past. Also, consider anti-rattle clips.

Mine were chattering as well within a few days of installing new pads and rotors. I just pulled the calipers, hit the rotors with some fine grit sand paper to bust the ever so-slight glaze that formed, and did the same to the rotors. Chattering never came back.....

Ivan

Back