• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

blow-by

dellstopjeep

NAXJA Forum User
Is there a way to completely quit the blow-by problem the cherokee motors have or not. I have almost 200,000 on my engine but it still runs strong. it does have a blow-by problem tho, somethin i havent seen a cherokee not have yet.

Have you replaced the CCV tubing? Should be done periodically. It won't eliminate 100% of the blow-by, but it will reduce the oil in the air cleaner considerably.

ya i replaced it about 10 thousand miles ago. that thing is a pain tho becasue u cant just buy part of it. u have to buy the whole thing which ends up being 100 bucks.

You can shorten it so it does not stick down so far. As the engines age and get sludge buildup the oil does not return thru the passages quite so quickly as a clean engine. Result is alot of oil pools in that area and the CCV sucks it up. Thats one fix anyway...

I just recently (maybe 1000 miles ago, if that) replaced the CCV stuff and cleaned the valve cover on my xj. Checked the other day and I am already getting some oil in the air filter. I am thinking of finding a clear plastic VW style fuel filter and splicing that into the line to the filter box to trap the oil before it gets to the actual air cleaner. Just need to find a filter that will fit the hose or maybe use adapters to make it work.

I replaced my CCV lines, the valve cover, grommet and valve cover gasket and my blowby disappeared. My old valve cover was so sludged up I couldn't believe it....with only about 80k on it too.

Does running a quart of ATF fluid before an oil change really clean out that much sludge?

just let the oil flow in to your air filter, you are going to pay more for a fuel filter than the $6 that you pay at shucks for an air filter.

bigpimpinben said:
just let the oil flow in to your air filter, you are going to pay more for a fuel filter than the $6 that you pay at shucks for an air filter.

I wasnt talking about an expensive fuel filter. The VW style filters are cheapie 99 cent ones. Rather kill that than the $6 air filter.

write a tech article and take some pics on what u do as im interested in the setup ur talking about. guess i should please if u wouildnt mind. :gee:

I have this same problem!

I hate to say this but my 88 blew so much oil I unhooked the tube to the air box and let the oil run on the frame,solved that problem but you can see the downside:eeks1:

Yea Im going to have to do something about this little problem soon. I'm loosing 1 to 2 Quarts a week on this problem and my Gas Milage has went to the crapper on me

As far as the CCV hoses go - get them at NAPA!! I just bought them there and the whole set(3 pieces) was about $50.00 total. Most of the people behind the counter will tell you they don't have it or can't get it, but tell them to look in the Balkamp catalog under vacuum hoses or search on here for the part numbers.

it saves a lot of money.

As a Temp. fix while I save up for my stroker, I just used a basic "catch can" design.

Ran hose from valve cover to a bottle wedged by my intake, that tube goes about 2" down into the bottle, next heater hose in the head of the bottle only goes in 1" or so and gets hooked to my intake.

Oil fills bottle.

Smoke goes to intake.

Air filter stays clean!

Yea it doesnt leak anywhere else just through that hose that goes into the air box. I know that the oil that is coming out of it is dirty, ie: black! My engine must be totally carbonized to make fresh oil black. I figure that Im changing all the oil out every 4 -5 weeks at this rate!

Back