• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need a quick answer to a u-joint ?

Karlm

NAXJA Forum User
How vital is the little tab on the pinion yoke that seems like it kind locates the u-joint within the yoke? Upon close inspection of the axle that I'm swapping in this afternoon, I noticed that one of the little tabs on the side of the yoke had broken off. Will the u-joint stay in place without it? I doesn't look like it broke any time recently, so I'm guessing that the donor jeep drove withit like that for a while. I need some help quick before I get to the point of no return. Thanks a lot.

Once the caps are clamped down, I would expect no trouble. I'd still dye-check the yoke to make sure there are no cracks with any danger of spreading - just because only the ear's missing, doesn't mean there might not be any other problems. A dye-check kit goes for about $30, and is money well spent!

Beyond that, I've only really noticed that they locate the cap for assembly, but I could be wrong...

5-90

I wouldn't trust it.

Back