• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Redline Water Wetter

woody

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
I mixed up a 12 oz bottle with 1.5 gl green coolant/1.5 gl distilled water for the trail rig...

$7 Snake oil or real cooling system improvement?

Yes, it does work. I use it in my BMW with no mechanical fan, just an electric on a thermostat. I hardly ever have the electric come on, only when its just sitting and its pretty hot out.

I noticed a difference from before and after, maybe 5* cooler. Just put a another bottle in along with the new rad.

--Matt

Aw come on guys...somewhere there is a chemist whose kids need new shoes... just kidding...I have it in a closed loop boat motor and it did lower the op temp by 10 degrees...

WaterWetter works by reducing the surface tension of the metal in the radiator. Surface tension being like your vehicle's paint after you just waxed it....the water beads up and runs off in streaks....that is surface tension.
With the surface tension reduced/eliminated, there is more contact (read: actual usable heat exchange surface) between your heat-laden coolant and the cooler metal of your radiator. :lecture: As long as your radiator isn't all corroded inside, the product should have something to stick to and work properly.
BTW: I'm no friggin chemist and I'm not a paid spokesperson either.... (I read the enclosed pamphlet) :laugh3:

BLUTO

Dropped my buddies bronco from 230 to 210... I'd say it works..

BLUTO -
You're half right. Water Wetter doesn't change the surface tension of the metal - ST is a fluid property.

However, it DOES nearly eliminate the surface tension of the water, making it "wetter" in much the same manner that soap does (and that's why soap makes you cleaner than plain water when you wash.) In fact, I think WW is a sort of non-sudsing detergent - that's the simplest explanation for how it works.

Does it work? My operating temp dropped from about 200-205* to about 185* when I started using it - it augemented the rest of my minor cooling mods rather nicely...

5-90

5-90 said:
BLUTO -
I think WW is a sort of non-sudsing detergent - that's the simplest explanation for how it works.

5-90

Like bacon fat in the sap pan. :gee:

First...I'm in a hurry, so I didn't read this thread...

But here's some personal experiance with Water Wetter. I run it in all my vehicles. The first one I ran it in was my old 2.3 Ford Courier, just a quart of it added into the radiator brought the water tempature down 40 degrees. :D

Sequoia
(No, they're not paying me!)

I don't think it gets better milage so much as it runs cleaner and gets better emmisson score. Most modern vehicles run much cooler than a 4.0 XJ , AMC/JEEP just made it run hotter to be able to pass emmisson requirements.

Your right about running cooler if you meant initially when you turn your engine over, for the first couple of minutes you will to get worse milage than say after the car has warmed up and the temp has steadied around 185-200 degress, in that sense your right. (my old mans '87 BMW M5 has a miles per gallon guage .... thats how i know.)

Last edited:
Actually the 4.0 (Renix at least) does get better mileage when it runs at 195°, I've back to back tested it between a 180° thermostat and a 190°.

With my Courier the only reason it was able to get it down a full 40° is because I was not running a thermostat at the time. In theory you should still run 190° with the proper thermostat, it would just cycle between open and closed more often.

Sequoia

Back