• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking for a Trann cooler

Karlm

NAXJA Forum User
Hello. What with the summer months on the way and all, I am looking to instal an tranny cooler for my AW4. I guess I'm jst looking for opinions on brands sizes and mounting locations. Any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for any help.

I got the largest B&M 24,000 somthing, holds about a quart of fluid and is pretty tough. I just bent the part of it with the mounting holes, and installed EZ, right in front of the radiator. Flow to me was not to much of an issue until I started having auxillory fan problems.

The cooler, DANG Thing gets HOT!!!

I pulled a trans cooler of a Ford Exploder ('92 maybe) in a bone yard, had it cleaned and pressure tested at a radiator shop and installed it along with a Permacooler filter kit. Cost, $0. Cools like a champ. Its a bar and plate style cooler, like your radiator, not a tube and fin, like most trans coolers. Everything I've read says the bar and plate style cooler is more efficent. On the highway in barely gets about 120*. Sitting in traffic, and stop and go warms up to about 180-185*. They cost about $120 from the dealer, thats why I looked for a good one in a bone yard. Hope this helps.

--Matt

look in summit or jegs auto parts catalog, they have some that you would mouont in front of the radiator, or ones that cool with surface area not moving air.

They have a cool moroso one that is a "frame rail" heat sink cooler.
http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=3537&prmenbr=361

B&m http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?
prrfnbr=3228&prmenbr=361

thats what i found in a minute, ther is one i thought of ordering last year but didn't get to it yet, its marketed as a more offroad friendly cooler becuase the fins aren't as fragile, i think its b&M or perma cool

Back