• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what happens when eagle disses your junk?

Beezil

Member #Nay
NAXJA Member
No fawkin way my junk is gonna get passed eagles inspection, unless we can drop something in his morning coffee to loosen his sphincter.....

so in the case of the inevitable, I will be starting my own club of miscreants.

we will start each morning ahead of the naxja group, so that WHEN we break, the naxja group will be behind us bringing the tools and spare parts....

who's with me?

Stop whining, Wab'

Somehow we managed to get yours through inspection in Moab, so unless you changed to a KJ platform, you should be OK. Heck, last time I knew, your pile of tubes had more of a resemblance to an XJ than that welder's out in Ohio.

It's just that Spare thing (weld some rollers on top of the cage).

Go hide (suck) some eggs and leave our esteemed prez be.

Mike in NJ :patriot:

ok while we're on the subject of spares..... i may be bringing a friend who has a YJ (sort of..) full tube chassis, runniing big-a$$ rockwell axles and 50" michelins (yes thats right) with solid beadlocks that clamp the entire assembly together... these tires/wheels weigh about 450# each, not to mention the size of it.. even if he gets a puncture he just drives it out flat.. what is the "tech safari's" take on this??

mike

sidriptide said:
ok while we're on the subject of spares..... i may be bringing a friend who has a YJ (sort of..) full tube chassis, runniing big-a$$ rockwell axles and 50" michelins (yes thats right) with solid beadlocks that clamp the entire assembly together... these tires/wheels weigh about 450# each, not to mention the size of it.. even if he gets a puncture he just drives it out flat.. what is the "tech safari's" take on this??

mike

exactly.

times have chaged.

jeeps have changed.

change is good.

I'm bringing a compact donut spare. just to make eagle crack a smile

sidriptide said:
the subject of spares..... 50" michelins (yes thats right) with solid beadlocks that clamp the entire assembly together... even if he gets a puncture he just drives it out flat.. mike

Why is it that the "spare" requirement causes so much angst for everybody? :confused:

That's why we changed the minimum requirements language to "adequate" to allow for some flexibility. Common sense folks, all we are trying to avoid is a situation where if a tire gets shredded, or goes flat, we're not faced with trying to drag something out on it's drivetrain. Besides minimizing damage on your own rig, having an "adequate" spare that will allow movement, is common courtesy for the rest of us that have to recover you. We're already aware how the daily entrance fee is concerning some people, and we want to maximize the amount of enjoyment that everybody will have. Breakage is part of this game, to be sure, but so is having some reasonable equipment as a back-up.

To "specifically" answer your question, mike, out in Moab we decided that anything running above 36" (or so) with beadlocks, it was reasonable to expect that such a rig could be towed out on the rolling carcass. Below that size, we were looking for something "round", inflated, would support the weight of the vehicle, and bolt up to the hub.

Don't look for anything more descriptive than "adequate", we're trying to keep this relatively simple.

As far as Mr. "Change is Good" is concerned, I expect that he will continue to tweak us mercilessly on this, so his standards will most likely be "different". :laugh2:

All kidding aside, I will tell you this though, everybody better have NAXJA required proper tow points, front and rear - and a strap w/o hooks (unless you have a securely mounted winch). I was reminded of the consequences of poor preparation in that arena, watching an attempted recovery this past weekend: 10 foot yellow strap with metal hooks - between tie-rod and spring shackle!!! :scared:

We'll make sure we put the NAXJA Safety Requirement list up on a sticky shortly.

i am aware that this specific question is a "sore spt" with a few.. but i was not aware of the "provisions" for heavily modified vehicles.. i'm not running anything that big so i never really put alot of thought it....
thanks guys..

mike

Hey Beezil if I make it I got about 4 donuts in the garage so that you can have a spare for each of your tires :cool:

Mike in NJ said:
in Moab we decided that anything running above 36" (or so) with beadlocks, it was reasonable to expect that such a rig could be towed out on the rolling carcass. Below that size, we were looking for something "round", inflated, would support the weight of the vehicle, and bolt up to the hub.

So, I'm running 38's with beadlocks, I won't be required to have a spare, just prefered.

The way I look at it, if I cut a tire I can always change it to the front (if rear flat) and unlock that hub, allowing me to limp out on three wheel drive.

I just can't carry a tire the weighs that much and takes up so much space.

Fore Wheeler said:
So, I'm running 38's with beadlocks, I won't be required to have a spare, just preferred?

Sounds about right to me . . . of course, I'm not an elected NAXJA officer, and can't unilaterally change the safety requirements, but I have been the Safety "Sheriff" at Moab the last few years, so I have a bit of experience with this question.

One thing that was modified last fall was the wording: "full-size" spare, became "adequate" spare. And, that amount of rubber pinned on a wheel, inflated or otherwise, would seem to fulfill the intention of emergency movement. :looney:

Some things are not negotiable, like fire extinguishers, seat belts, front AND rear tow points, but on this one . . . .

You get the picture.

Beezil said:
there is no sore spot!!!!!!!!

Geez, you can dish it out . . . . .

Whatsamatta, can't handle a little reverse slappin'?

No worries, Beaver Boy ( the Wabbit is gone?), but you HAVE been beating this dead spare horse for several months now, and lurkers might not quite understand your dry wit.

BTW, just as well we're hashing it out, you just KNOW it will come up before the event (as will probably the tow point thing . . . . :( <sigh> ).

If you want to ruffle Big Bird's feathers, use a blow dryer!

Last edited:
Beezil said:
there is no sore spot!!!!!!!!

I'm just trying to annoy eagle......

come awn people get with the program.....

you guys try it sometime its fun!

sore or not, it keeps popping up.. and besides. Eagle is a local for me so rufffling the presidential feathers isn't always in my best interest.. i got my spare.. :viking:

mike

I see everyone's point for not carrying a spare, but unfortunatly, Paragon's rules make carrying a spare mandatory. It's part of their inpsection process. They're going to check to see if you have a fullsize spare(it doesn't have to be the exact size...just big enough to get you off the trial). They also check to see that you have front and rear tow points. If you only have rear points, you're stuck to level 1 trails. And they're gonna check to see that your battery is properly secured(no bunjee cords). Last but not least, they check all coolers, and containers you carry in the jeep for Alcohol.

Mike in NJ said:
Geez, you can dish it out . . . . .

Whatsamatta, can't handle a little reverse slappin'?

No worries, Beaver Boy ( the Wabbit is gone?), but you HAVE been beating this dead spare horse for several months now, and lurkers might not quite understand your dry wit.

BTW, just as well we're hashing it out, you just KNOW it will come up before the event (as will probably the tow point thing . . . . :( <sigh> ).

If you want to ruffle Big Bird's feathers, use a blow dryer!

I only kept it up cause eagle never got in the ring....

I guess eagle knows how to annoy me!!!!!!!

eagle, don;t ignore me!!!!!!! pleeeeeaseeee??????

okay, the real reason i won't run a spare, is cause I have those gorilla security locking lug nuts, and I lost the special lugnut key, dammit.

MeWantSnow said:
. . .Paragon's rules . . .

MWS:

Thanks for the comments, but you should know that our arrangement with Paragon is that NAXJA is responsible for the safety tech inspection of our participants. We have done this at past NACFests and PAP has no issue with this because our requirements are a bit more stringent than theirs (and saves them the hassle of inspecting our vehicles). Along with the Paragon waiver, NAXJA members (and guests) also sign the NAXJA waiver, which, among other things, includes a prohibition of alcohol on our runs. Also, we require front and rear tow points, regardless of trail level.

So, please pay attention to NAXJA minimum safety requirements:

1. At least one, visibly charged fire extinguisher (Type B:C, or A:B:C).

2. First Aid Kit.

3. Adequate spare tire, Jack, and Lug Wrench.

4. Safety belts for driver and any passengers.

5. Adequate attachment points in the front AND rear of the vehicle. Acceptable forms of attachment points are: Tow Hooks of OEM or greater integrity, D-Rings, Shackles or Clevis, Winch.

6. At least one, 20ft, 10,000 lb Snatch Strap WITHOUT metal hooks.

7. A properly secured Battery.

Anybody missing some of these? Then, get your butt in gear and get some! You have a two months!

In addition, we have some SUGGESTIONS for further enhancing the safety and comfort of your ride:

A functioning CB radio - permanent or handheld (This one should actually be a minimum requirement, and it is highly recommended!)

Appropriate Tools.

A 2nd Fire Extinguisher.

Duct Tape.

Rocker Protection or Armor.

Skid Plates (at least Transfer Case and Gas Tank).

Tires in Good Condition (especially sidewalls).

Critical vehicle fluids (engine oil, ATF, Coolant, Gear Oil).

For fuel, don't carry spare containers, just make sure you are FULL before you start the trail.

Hi-Lift Jack.

Spare Parts (especially hoses and belts. Machined parts if you REALLY are concerned).

Tarp, spare rope, trash bags.

Emergency Signaling devices.

Change of clothing/shoes, blanket.

For those that don't know, our HQ campground - Red Ridge, is tolerant of repair work during reasonable hours, so major activities (like welding and such) can be done back there.

Past NACFests have been pretty safe (as with all NAXJA events), but we've had our share of breakdowns and such. Having rigs which meet these safety requirements and the general skill and attitude of our membership has dealt with any problems quickly and allowed us to focus on having a good time.

Back