• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Freaking steering stabilizer!!!!!

GI-John

NAXJA Forum User
I'm attempting to replace a steering stabilizer that I put on in 97.

I have broken loose all of the bolts, and taken off the drag link side of the stabilizer but the axle side is frozen solid. (I'm assuming to the bushing)

I've tried force (3 lb hand sledge)
Ive burnt the bushing out
Cut off the head of the bolt
To no avail

Any Ideas on how to seperate this freaking thing? (It's soaking in PB right now)

PS I've also bent a bent a wrench, and smashed a few fingers :rattle:

Mine was really stuck on in the same spot too so I took off the pass side front tire and came in through there with a pry bar and a bfh. The combination of the two got it off. Good luck its a real PITA.

I about did real damage to myself when I tried pulling the factory one off my 98. After 3 hours of everthing I could think of I took it to OK4Wheel drive in NJ. They put it up on the lift and when they 'removed' that tapered bolt it could have killed somebody...
The part that messed me up was that with the front end only up on jackstands in the driveway I could not get the leverage or a good enough swing with the BFH.

Funny...I just did mine this morning. I've been trying to get the darn thing off since Tuesday. Tried PB, air chisel, small hammer, gear puller...the thing wouldn't budge. Went to the store today and bought a BFH and a propane torch (needed these anyways). Heated it up real good, took like five whacks at it...and off it came.

-EDIT- Sorry, just reread your original post. You're having problems with the axle side. That was the easy side for me.

FIXED!!!!

Everything is now coated in either grease or antiseize.

Thanks for the replies.

Congrats John!!! ... Sorry I was not online to give you some moral support. I've been on my back drilling / cutting / beating / prying body mount bolts off my son's 79 CJ7. I think today was "fun" day for some of us! :wow:

Les

PS: We got his project done by the way ...

lbexj said:
Congrats John!!! ... Sorry I was not online to give you some moral support. I've been on my back drilling / cutting / beating / prying body mount bolts off my son's 79 CJ7. I think today was "fun" day for some of us! :wow:

Les

PS: We got his project done by the way ...

It started out pretty well, I pulled my EZ locker to sell to the Explorer Crowd. It seems that their front axle is a D35.

Can't wait to get the time for the 8.8 to go in.

Back