• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Instrument Cluster

Kdub

NAXJA Forum User
My '98 XJ started having a new problem this past week. The instrument cluster will stop working for a while then start working again. Sometime all the gauges are dead and other times just the speedo and tach are dead.

Does anyone know where I should start looking to find the fault?

Thanks,

First step, down by your left foot is a big grey box with a bolt in the center, make sure it is tight.
Second, pull your instrument cluster out and clean the two self docking connectors in the back. Disconnect your battery for about 20 min before starting to prevent any airbag problems. I tweaked the pins a bit so they went back in tighter but you have to be careful not to tweak them too much of they will bend when reseating. When ready to reassemble put some dielectric grease on them to prevent any more corrosion. That should fix it...
Dealer will do the same thing only they replace the plugs....

First step, down by your left foot is a big grey box with a bolt in the center, make sure it is tight.

I know I've brought this thread back from the dead but this is the first time I've heard of this suggestion. I pulled the kick panel in my 00 and saw no such "box." Can anyone offer more details as to what this poster was referring to?

I know I've brought this thread back from the dead but this is the first time I've heard of this suggestion. I pulled the kick panel in my 00 and saw no such "box." Can anyone offer more details as to what this poster was referring to?

Connector C201 if I'm not mistaken.

Here's a pic of where its located:

jpgnewC201.jpg

The 2000 has two screws - one top and one bottom - to mount it. I pulled the lower screw out, buffed it up on the wire wheel, and reinstalled it nice and tight. I'm going to do the other as well, along with the two bolts that mount the bracket that the box is secured to.

Back