• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rubbing...

85Chief

NAXJA Forum User
Im putting on a 3 inch lift on my 85 cherokee, and I'm planning on putting BFG 31/10.5R15, and I was wanting to know if I will need to do any trimming on my fender flares or fender. I wont be doing any rock crawling or anything major, but I dont want them to be rubbing.
Comments and pictures are appreciated.

85Chief said:
Im putting on a 3 inch lift on my 85 cherokee, and I'm planning on putting BFG 31/10.5R15, and I was wanting to know if I will need to do any trimming on my fender flares or fender. I wont be doing any rock crawling or anything major, but I dont want them to be rubbing.

Your choices are: either extend the bumptops a bit or trim it till it stops rubbing :D Btw, a lot of rubbing is dependent on the rims. control arms and TB, so the big question is which rims are you going to run. will you change out the control arms? install adjustable trackbar??

85Chief said:

No rubbing that's a problem, but you can carry a tin snips with you for awhile and when you hear it rub, get out and trim a little. You can do quite a bit of trimming on the inside of the fender flares (and front air dam) without it looking like you even did anything.

I will be running American Racing Baja rims, I guess 15X8. I dont have any clue on what offset/ backspacing I need. Can you help me?
I'm not planning on getting an adjustable trackbar or changing control arms, but maybe bumpstops...how much are those?

$1 per hockey puck, mine took 3 on each side but that's because I'm running 33's on 3.5" of lift. Search on here. Get 15x8 rims with 4.5-4.75" of backspacing and throw a couple hockey pucks in each side, or run stock rims and adjust the bump stops.

85Chief said:
I will be running American Racing Baja rims, I guess 15X8. I dont have any clue on what offset/ backspacing I need. Can you help me?
I'm not planning on getting an adjustable trackbar or changing control arms, but maybe bumpstops...how much are those?

Backspacing isn't ideal on those rims.....I run them, but I have much more lift and considerably more trimming. If you want to minimize trimming, stay with a 4.5" to 4.75" backspacing. Most aftermarket rims are 3.25" which will give you problems.

hockey pucks? I dont get it.....I hope you dont mean for body lift 'cause you cant with an XJ without SERIOUS, I mean SERIOUS fab work hehe.
xj92 said:
$1 per hockey puck, mine took 3 on each side but that's because I'm running 33's on 3.5" of lift. Search on here. Get 15x8 rims with 4.5-4.75" of backspacing and throw a couple hockey pucks in each side, or run stock rims and adjust the bump stops.

Redcbr007 said:
hockey pucks? I dont get it.....I hope you dont mean for body lift 'cause you cant with an XJ without SERIOUS, I mean SERIOUS fab work hehe.
Hockey pucks in the front to extend the bumpstops. You drop them onto the spring pad through space in the goilds and rtv them down. This limits up travel thus limiting some rubbing. Also you can adjust the steering stops with couple washers.

Back