• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Did the Torque Conv. Mod. Ques?

csudman

NAXJA Forum User
Is there that much of a difference when its locked up. At this point, I really cant tell. I know its locking up, I think. If I Kill the TCU and put the trans in 3rd or 4th it will stall out. That means its workin right? Maybe I was just expecting to much from it. IE, more like a staight drive. Any suggestions. Just so you know, I'm geared 4.56, so its not that I'm not geared low enough.

THanks CJ

I did the TC & tranny gear switch mods because my OEM TC lockout switch quit working... It was too much $$ at the dealership, so I bought a pack of diodes and a pair of switches for cheap.

In 3rd or 4th, I notice mine drops the RPM approx 400 (I say approx because the trail rig -'89 4.0, 4.56, 33" - has no tach) My 88 4.0 DD has a tach, but the tranny in it feels 'softer' and the OEM switched lockup is still noticable.

When I was DD the trail rig (all hilly 2-lane backroads with 3-8 miles between stop signs), I'd leave it unlocked from 1-3rd, then either lock it and ride in 3rd or 4th. Either way-TC locked or unlocked- if the shifter is in the OD position, I can downshift to 3rd with a flick...no need to give more gas to 'force' the downshift.

Off road is where these mods shine...lock in 1st gear and lock the TC for downhills = compression braking just like my 5-speed. Lock in 2nd gear for 'softer' starts or more wheelspeed on slick hillclimbs.

By your description of the tranny 'stalling', I'd say you are getting lockup on demand.
Find a steep hill, select 1st gear/low range and descend with the TC both locked & unlocked... you should notice the difference then :)

Thats the thing, In first I cant tell the difference. I wheeled it today and went down a crazy steep rock face. About 20 ft from the bottom I just let go to see when It would kickin and I got to almost 1800 rpm before It stopped accelerating. Im just not sure its working in 1st and 2nd. Any Ideas.

csudman said:
Thats the thing, In first I cant tell the difference. I wheeled it today and went down a crazy steep rock face. About 20 ft from the bottom I just let go to see when It would kickin and I got to almost 1800 rpm before It stopped accelerating. Im just not sure its working in 1st and 2nd. Any Ideas.

I'm a confirmed 5-speed guy myself, but from the times I've driven the automatics, it seems to me that if the torque converter wasn't locked, your RPMs would NOT get up to 1800 because the slippage wouldn't transmit enough torque to overcome the engine braking. Sounds to me like it is working.

Back