• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

instrument panel upgrade?

mopwr2u

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I have a 87 Cherokee it has the stock instrument panel basically a fuel guage a speedo and temp,oil,charge lights. I found a panel out of another cherokee at the wrecking yard that has the guages instead of lights it seems to be around the same year 86 or so would i be able to remove mine and replace it with that one and have the guages work (as in same wiring harness) I figured I may have to change the sending units for oil and temp or is that not as easy as it sounds

It's just that simple. Plug and play for the tach, change the sending units for oil pressure and temperature.

But ... '87 was the "swing" year for the instrument cluster. In mid-87 they changed from a "Type 1" to a "Type 2" cluster. The electrical connection is fully compatible, but the speedometer cable connection for the Type 1 uses a mechanical retainer, and the Type 2 uses a nylon/plastic squeeze retainer. Unless they match, you might have to replace your speedo cable.

when I switched out my 85 guages, all i had to do was plug in the new cluster. Everything worked fine. Also, I just swapped out the speedo from the old idiot light cluster to the tach cluster to keep my true mileage.

:clap:

Back