• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need instructions for installing factory gas tank skid plate on 90 xj

lapaul

NAXJA Forum User
I have started to put a factory gas tank skid plate on 90 xj. I could use some instructions. Do I need to take off the plastic cover and the straps before putting on the skid plate or does it go over the plastic cover and straps.

If I take off the straps, do I keep the plastic cover under the skid plate or discard it.

How do I keep the gas tank up while I do all this, lying underneath the rig..

Any other advice or instructions.

First off doing this alone would be difficult at best! It can be done I'm sure. When we put a Factory gas tank skid on my rig we had to cut that plastic guard off on the outside of the straps. Even with it cutoff like that it was still a VERY tight fit. We used a jack with a stack of like 6 2X4's to jack it into postition. It was such a tight fit that it litterally squeezed onto the tank so tight we could pull the jack away. The bolts on the exhaust side are much easier to get to with a modified exhaust as in cut off around where the gas tank starts. I have heard that the fumes from the exhaust could harm the bushings in the leaf springs but I took that risk and cut off the exhaust. So far I really like having it there just as a peace of mind thing. Oh yeah what we did to cut off the plastic on the outside of the straps was start a tear at the top of the plastic and rip along the straps pulling inward. Have Fun!

Alan

I didn;t pull the plastic stuff on my '99 it went right over. I have heard that you jucst put it right over the tank. no need to drop it.
I haven;t dont it yet on my '93, so I can;t say exactly for the pre 97's
I really doubt you have to drop the tank though.

First question, which gas tank skid did you get, there are at least two and maybe three different ones. The ones that were available post 97 fit OVER the tank and attached at the two frame rails on both sides. One is just a straight skid the other has two 'fins' or drainage channels that face the rear. What does your skid look like ???
If it goes on the frame rails then the steps are straightforward.
Remove the end caps on the rear bumper, remove rear bumper.
Insert the two nut cert plates into the frame rails.
Lift the gas tank skid into place and start bolting it down.
The pipe hanger on the passenger side can be a PIA as it gets in the way and I had to jiggle it bit with a big pry bar but it went on.
Reinstall the bumper and end caps and you are done.
Takes about 2 hours, the bumper bolts are another PIA part, need to soak them with powerblaster before starting....

I used a utility knife and trimmed a strip about 1.5" wide off the outer ends of the plastic tank shield, then used a floor jack with a 2x4 on top of it to jack the skid into position.

If you didn't originally have a skid or a tow hitch, on the passenger side you'll have two studs screwed into the "frame" rail for the aft tailpipe hanger. Those, I think, need to come off. They get replaced by a trapezoidal plate with the studs welded to it.

You also need to remove the bumper for access to the back end of the frame rails, to slide in the nut strips that the skid bolts to. (I hope you got the nut strips. If not, they are the same nut strips that come with factory Class III hitches and they are still available through Jeep dealers.) Bolt size is 12 mm IIRC.

Back