• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bored TB Question

Karlm

NAXJA Forum User
OK, I had my spare TB bored out at my dad's machine shop at his work. They did a nice job boring it out, but after I reassembled the TB, I could detect a slight gap around the throttle plate when closed. It is a little less than the thickness of a sheet of paper, I can't get a real good measurement because my feeler gauge is in my jeep which is at the muffler shop. There is only about 0.5 in of area where I can even get a piece of paper in the gap, but I can detect light coming through all the way around. WIll this be a problem? I know I can't unmachine it, but I just am curious to know what might happen before I bolt stuff together. Thanks for any help.

Karlm said:
OK, I had my spare TB bored out at my dad's machine shop at his work. They did a nice job boring it out, but after I reassembled the TB, I could detect a slight gap around the throttle plate when closed. It is a little less than the thickness of a sheet of paper, I can't get a real good measurement because my feeler gauge is in my jeep which is at the muffler shop. There is only about 0.5 in of area where I can even get a piece of paper in the gap, but I can detect light coming through all the way around. WIll this be a problem? I know I can't unmachine it, but I just am curious to know what might happen before I bolt stuff together. Thanks for any help.

There is some company out there that makes a bigger butterfly for that TB... I'll try to find the link. I think you're going to get some whistling, but I'm not sure what else.
Billy

I could see a little light aroud the plate after I bored mine, too. It's not a big deal at all, and it still works fine. I think the only reason you can't see any light on the OEM TB is the neck-down on the bore.

Well, I got the TB on today after I got my rig back from the exhaust shop. Between the TB and an all new exhaust from my header back, I can definatly feel a bit more juice. The TB only whistles at about half throttle and only for a second at that.

Back