• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AC unit, leave it or pull it?

Hiaboo

NAXJA Forum User
I have a '94 country. The AC currently doesn't work but everything else does. Apparently it needs a recharge but where I live (mass) it's not easy to come by with freon and it's not cheap either. Also I don't really need it, the question here is, should I leave the AC unit in or pull it?

I'm not too sure, but all I know is that the garage couldn't recharge it and said it'd cost a pretty penny. I decided it's not worth the money since i don't really need it?

5-90 said:
Um - look up! I already called "dibs" - I really need a new compressor out here....

5-90

Looks like you been swooped.....

How would you compensate for the lack of the compressor with the
serpentine belt drive?

Can you just get a smaller diameter belt and pop it on? No interferences?

...just curious.

There is an idler assembly that goes in its place, or one could fab something up with a little time, tooling, and creativity. I could be wrong, but I don't think the belt routing is conducive to being changes as it comes from the factory (but all the XJ's I've got are Renix, and I don't know what changes took place. I just hope they kept the Sanden SD505 compressor...)

Either way, I'd look for an idler setup or someone nearby who could create one from whole cloth, rather than trying to re-route the belt entirely...

5-90

about turning that into an air compressor.....with no freon or anything in there, when engaged none of the moving parts would be getting lubricated, right?
If thats the case, wouldn't that really suck if the clutch froze up on it considering it has a serpentine belt. I could understand doing the conversion in a car with more than one belt but where there is only one, you're pretty much screwed.

please correct if I'm wrong in thinking this

Dean

Has to do with the type of compressor, some will work like the York type and have internal lubrication, some won't and it has been along time since I looked at that. As for removing the compressor the only difference is the belt and an Idler, we have two 2.5L TJ's, one with air and one without and not that I think about it [ones gone with the daughter to work] I remember both had the same number of idlers and the only difference was belt routing and belt size, both take different belts.
We just did the belts and idler/adjustment pulleys a couple of weeks ago on both...

drroadie said:
If you decide to throw it away, throw it my way,,,,,,,,,I'll pay the frieght. LOL

I would really like to get rid of my compressor! It is complete and works fine. Converted by Chrysler to 134a. All I want in return is the pullet/bracket ass'y needed to keep the serpantine in place.

If anyone wants to make this trade, contact me off this thread: timthedriver @ hotmail.com

wow what have I started here? I was just thinking of pulling the motor, running a different dia. line but I dont know if that'll work, or just fab a setup that will "duplicate" the presence of the pulley/set so if anybody has any info on how to do this would be nice.

Hiaboo said:
I'm not too sure, but all I know is that the garage couldn't recharge it and said it'd cost a pretty penny. I decided it's not worth the money since i don't really need it?
Go to another shop or ask the Stealer. IMO you need another opinion.

Dealer here in Mass. says there is a dummy type idler pulley that goes in its (compressor) place. I just started hacking up my A/c system because I was convinced it was robbing me of precious HP and MPG. It didn't work anyway but now I have more space to work and a nice radiator guard that's too big to make a tranny cooler out of (condenser).

If anybody wants my compressor, Id gladly exchange it for this dummy pulley.

Go to Wal-Mart, pay $30 for a 134 conversion kit, and you're done.

Dunno where you are in Massachusetts, but I'm in Connecticut and the a/c was down on my '88 last summer. There were times when I REALLY wanted it.

Wal-Mart you say. I know what you mean about the strange weathers we can have here. I'll check out wal-mart and all that and look up more info, just another project for me to do in the summer.

All You Need To Convert It To R134a Is Differnt Fittings On The Lines And A New Reciever Drier. Then Have It Evacuated And Recharged With R134a And Pag Oil. You Can Get The Parts From Any Parts Store.
Joe

Back